Thread: Wiring batteries in parallel

Default Wiring batteries in parallel

Has anyone tried wiring two 18650 cells in parallel for a Neopixel build? As I understand it, that would double the capacity of the batteries (useful for battery life) and the maximum current, so better for handling the power demands from these strips. I was planning to still use the 10A Panasonic cells (or equivalent, depending on what I can get in the UK) but was curious if anybody else has experience with this type of build? Would there any concerns with wiring a recharge port into this setup?

Unless you know what you are doing, wiring lithium batteries in parallel is a bad idea. This can lead to a "thermal event" which you will decidedly not enjoy.

Here's a brief statement from Adafruit on the topic: https://learn.adafruit.com/li-ion-an...-battery-packs

Factories match cells with similar characteristics and use circuitry to ensure the safety of battery packs to keep your laptops and space cars from exploding.

Thanks, given all the warnings about dealing with Li-Ion cells I figured it was best to ask first.