Thread: SMD LED's and SMD Resistors

Default SMD LED's and SMD Resistors

So, I saw a video with SMD LED's on a board, plus another board that uses SMD LED's for an error code. I got to thinking, that I need to figure these little SMD LED's out. I did, but in the process, I broke a SMD resistor that fed the accent LED line. I measure the resistance of matching resistors, and learned how to replace a SMD Resistor tonight too. Plus I got the SMD LED's all firing. They are bright. So now, I'll have SMD accents on mounted on the board up side, and my normal accent LED's mounted on the underside pads. This opens up all new worlds of accent LED's! I'm so excited. Man alive, if you think soldering to the DS pad on NBIV was a nerve-wracking chore, give that a shot. But, the good news is that now I can do the SMD Resistors, I can solder those into the TCSS adapters instead of having one in line to save space! My soldering confidence grows with each build. I'm just so excited I had to share this.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

I tried soldering an smd resistor to the pixel connector and failed. It’s just too small. What is your technique?

Number one, you have to have helping hands holding your target (aka your board/pixel connector) at the proper angle to allow your off hand to be used for tweezers. I use tweezers to pick the thing up properly aligned to place it onto its position. I have already pre-tinned where its going. Then I zap one side of the resistor with the lightest touch to the pad. Release the tweezers, give a little nudge (and I mean a LITTLE nudge) to make sure the solder joint took to the resistor side). Once you get one side, zap the other. Then volt meter to the pads to make sure I have continuity across the resistor. Done. Same with the SMD LED's. When I put them on my board, I actually used resistor tails to join the VDD line onto them. On that particular application.

So, I decided to learn this for 2 reasons. Number one, to have another cool options for blinkies all over. Number 2, the Teensys I'm using in my Kylo Neopixel...IF I use different resistors on Neopixel adapters, Teensy can recognize the different resistors and treat each blade individually. So I can program the Teensy to fire the main blade, then the quillions for delayed ignition. I can program the thing to do all kinds of stuff different with the side blades. Its amazing really. Now I have to figure it all out.

Tom

PS, I came up with a new meaning for SMD. Small Micro Disasters! It certainly was stress relieving, because you're so focused on the mission at hand. Don't do it with a lot of distractions about! You need quiet calm. May want to lay off the coffee before you do it too. It really was easy once I got the hang of it.

Tom

I’ll have to find some tiny tweezers. Much easier just resistoring the blade side once than in lines for multiple hilts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    PS, I came up with a new meaning for SMD. Small Micro Disasters! It certainly was stress relieving, because you're so focused on the mission at hand. Don't do it with a lot of distractions about! You need quiet calm. May want to lay off the coffee before you do it too. It really was easy once I got the hang of it.

Tom
    Lol. They’re not that bad, once you get the hang of it. And yes, you will need tiny tweezers and a very file soldering tip.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I've picked up a set of ESD-safe tweezers from iFixit. I've been quite pleased with them for some time. They even work for getting ordinary splinters out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quick video showing how I deal with these little gems.