Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GREENIE IV: Another reveal saber.

Thank you everyone.
    Yeah, I know this one doesn't have the detail of the last one, I was going for something different but also the same. They are brothers and interchangeable , partly the reason it also has a NBv3 Tom, that and I'm using up what I have. Still, they're great little boards and ideal for me practicing my construction and cram fu skills.

DC. A quick apology to you sir. I promised weathering on the next one but I made this instead.

Anyway, Ive added a video link at the top ^^

Greenie

These builds just blow my mind. They way everything is so flush and fits perfectly AND lines up once they're docked is just incredible to me and I always have to stop and think about how you might have achieved all that. Very well done! I love that they look comfortable in the hand too. So many sabers are just incredible looking, but often look like they'd be super hard to hold. On the other hand, more easy-to-weild sabers can sometimes suffer from being boring (mine are this way, but that's what I was shooting for). You've found an amazing way to make it so very ornate and appealing to look at without sacrificing grip or ability to wield effectively.

If I can ask, just generally, how do you achieve those cores with the appropriate tolerances that they dock so smoothly and do not rattle? Do you have your own machining tools?
    Darjetii, chaabar te genet jetiise, kaysh tion'ad taylir te vorpan kal. Kaysh oya'karir gar jii. Kyr'am cuyir gebbar de.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Thank you everyone.
    Yeah, I know this one doesn't have the detail of the last one, I was going for something different but also the same. They are brothers and interchangeable , partly the reason it also has a NBv3 Tom, that and I'm using up what I have. Still, they're great little boards and ideal for me practicing my construction and cram fu skills.

DC. A quick apology to you sir. I promised weathering on the next one but I made this instead.

Anyway, Ive added a video link at the top ^^

Greenie
    Eh, no problem. I’ll gladly take it if your hands and dirty it up for you
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I'm not sure what is more amazing, the fact that you made yet another awesome interior or the fact you can interchange them with either outer hilt. That is quite a bit of foresight, planning, and engineering. Great build!

Quote Originally Posted by JTP View Post
    These builds just blow my mind. They way everything is so flush and fits perfectly AND lines up once they're docked is just incredible to me and I always have to stop and think about how you might have achieved all that.

If I can ask, just generally, how do you achieve those cores with the appropriate tolerances that they dock so smoothly and do not rattle? Do you have your own machining tools?
    Thanks JTP. I have a lathe, which helps to achieve the required OD of the chassis and because I'm building these to fit MHS I can trust the precision work of TCSS. So as long as it's centred correctly with the heatsink module it'll 'dock' just fine. A PVC ring insert in the pommel maintains the alignment. There's more explanation in reply to Raktus in my other thread (link in sig) see page seven..... and one

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Eh, no problem. I’ll gladly take it if your hands and dirty it up for you
    I wouldn't wanna distract you from what you're cookin'. I sense something awesome....again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ris Liam View Post
    I'm not sure what is more amazing, the fact that you made yet another awesome interior or the fact you can interchange them with either outer hilt. That is quite a bit of foresight, planning, and engineering. Great build!
    Thanks Ris. Not quite so much foresight. It was only when I was test fitting chassis pieces for this one in my last hilt when it dawned on me ' what's the point of a removable chassis (apart from the reveal) if you can't put it in a different hilt'. TBH, I prefer them in their opposite hilts. Next one will have to be RGB for sure.

Board Lurker

Well.... yet another beauty to make me jealous. Just wow. Simply amazing! And you can swap it with your III, just insane.

Your work is amazing. Built like a fine Swiss watch. Just a question...when you start a project like this do you start from the inside and work your way out? And are you selling these or is it for your personal collection..not asking to buy just wondered. Amazing detail!

Cheers Raktus and k6gad.

First, I would figure out the electronics layout and design the chassis around those requirements. But at the same time I have the hilt design in mind. Knowing which MHS parts I will use determines the maximum length of the chassis, so the whole thing kinda evolves as one. With that said though, I designed this hilt first based on the dimensions of the previous chassis but built the chassis for this one first, using the previous hilt for test fitting.
    I'd say they're for my personal collection as I'm reluctant to part with them at the moment but I have been asked, so may be later down the line or more likely when I get better at building them (they're not without errors). Each one is a learning experience.

Greenie

Board Lurker

Hey @Greenie,

I’m looking to make some sort of contraption to slide open/closed to reveal my crystal chamber. Would you be willing to share how you made that sliding cover for your activation switch? Thanks!

Greenie,
    This is just fantastic. I took an electronics sabbatical over the holidays and missed the original post. I especially like the core. Good job.