Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some questions for my first saber build

Default Some questions for my first saber build

Hello Everyone,

For a while now I've been interested in getting a nice lightsaber replica, and have finally decided to go about putting one together. I've been able to find most of the information I need, but still have a few questions that it would be nice to have answered before I start ordering parts and such, so here they are. The main thing I'm wondering about is compatibility of parts from different companies. The first company I came across for parts was saberforge, however on further research, I read that they have a lot of quality control issues, so I've decided not to buy all the parts from them. However, they have very nice looking hilt designs, better than any other place I've found at that price point (if you know of any other manufacturers, please tell me about them), so I was wondering if it would be possible to put electronics purchased from The Custom Saber Shop into a Saberforge hilt, will I run into any compatibility issues if I go this route? I am also hoping to build a lightsaber with RGB capability, and although the nano biscotte looks like it has this feature, it is currently out of stock, as is the Red/Green/Royal Blue LED module that I think I would need. While searching for other options, I came across the Spark 2 and NECree RGB by Naigon's Electronic Creations, which seem to have the same features, and the benefit of having all the electronics on the pcb, and since I'm not a pro electrician, having less items I need to solder together seems like it would produce a more reliable saber. However, although Naigon's website has a link to this site, I can't find his products here, and they aren't as common on the internet from what I've seen. This led me to wonder if his products are as high quality as the ones by Plecter Labs, are they?

I'm new here, so sorry for asking so many questions, and thank you for answering them!

Thanks,
    Ethan
    Last edited by Ethan; 12-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Hello,

This thread will likely get locked soon because this forum is connected to a store. Its against forum rules to link to websites selling stuff in competition with what the store sells. You might want to edit your post to remove the link.

thanks, I did not realize that

The Custom Saber Shop also offers parts to make (and design) your own hilts, and Tim does offer machining services to help you make something truly your own. TCSS is basically a one stop shop. The other company’s hilts that you mentioned aren’t easy for beginners to work on, and they aren’t very reputable overall.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

How much of a custom hilt can TCSS make? is it just modifications to existing ones? or can they do completely custom builds? I'm also a student, so I don't have a huge budget for things like this, hence why I was looking at those other websites, even though they might not be as high quality. How would I get an idea for how much a custom hilt would cost?

They can customize their pieces. Of course it’s up to you to come up with the design (using MHS as a base), and see how close Tim can come to making it happen. USe the MHS builder, and that should give you a loose idea of the price, keep in mind that custom work would be extra, and need to be discussed with Tim. I’ve done some fantastic sabers that are MHS based through the years. You can also save up, and “add-on as time and finances permit.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

How much can a custom saber differ from the options in the MHS builder? I've created a cad model of what I would like a saber to look like, but it has some new things like a custom emitter (simpler than some mhs ones though) and two shroud pieces which wrap the saber. Does that sound like something which would be possible, and how do I go about getting a price quote?

The shroud pieces are just tubes, which are sold inthe store, and you can Dremel into whatever you want (or again, send Tim your sketch and see what if he’s willing to do it, and how much it would cost). Posting a picture of your design would probably be helpful here.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

here's an image of my design, how would I go about sending it to Tim?
    Capture2.jpg
    sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm new here, and am still getting my bearings on how things work

a lightsaber is basically a glorified flashlight with sound/motion effects. A tube with stuff in in that lights up, makes sound, and when you move it about; you get different sounds. Most electronics will work in a toilet tube if that is what you want.

As far as dream hilts, I suggest you visit the MHS Builder, and see what you can come up with. Your saber looks fairly simple, and I'm sure you could build that out of existing MHS components and shrouds. Internally, the world is your oyster.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."