Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Creating my lightsaber

Default Creating my lightsaber

Hello Forum. I hope everyone had a good Christmas!

I am hoping to make my first lightsaber soon and have been studying the internet and these forums to try to determine what I need to do. Unfortunately, I am better at understanding these things once I have taken them apart and find it harder to work it out from all the available possibilities I have seen! I have been very drawn to the MHS as the lightsaber I am envisioning is rather simple in style, which the MHS seems ideal for. However, there are a couple of things I am uncertain it will be able to do. Below is the initial hilt designed on this site and then below that is a mock up of the additions I want to make:

Saber1.jpg

Saber2.jpg

This will not be a stunt blade and (at least at first) I do not intend to add a blade so I would quite like the green light to come out from the partially open piping below the blade emitter. I wondered if I placed a safety plug within this section of tube with the light below it, this would work. Additionally, I wonder if this will affect the button placement - I am not set on where the button would go so this may not be a bit issue but I wondered whether the Saber Shop would be willing to drill a button hole elsewhere.

Below is the list of parts I have considered so far. I would appreciate a bit of feedback. I understand that this forum is not for people to do all the work for you but that is why I want to learn how to make this work.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Vi...6-715379ec7fd2

So, my new lightsaber friends, what do you think?
    Last edited by BaronBlackaby; 01-07-2018 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Updated list

Welcome to the Forums.

Before I start answering your questions, let’s start with these questions: Do you plan on having sound at all? Do you plan on having a blade at some point (which is mostly the point of having a saber to start with)?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hey there. Thank you very much for getting back.

Regarding sound, it would be good to have that so I apologise for missing that. From reading, I understand there are different sound cards so I will look into the different options shortly. I presumably don't want to cheap out on that sort of thing.

I am not sure if I would ever add a blade. If at all possible, it would be good to build one that does not rule it out entirely but my current thinking would be that it lights up the hilt and my imagination (and everyone else's) can fill in the blanks. Therefore, I thought that the two safety plugs might do the trick.

Hello again,
    I have been looking more into the construction, particularly regarding sound and blades. To start with, I really just want to create a solid lightsaber - the sound and blade are secondary to the basic shape and lights. What I do not want to do is aim too high initially and fail to create anything at all. That being said, if adding a sound unit (such as the Nano Biscotte Sound Module) is a simple addition, then I would love to add that too. I have some basic experience soldering so would happily tinker with this sort of thing. However, what I really want is the opinion of the people on this forum to decide what angle I should come at this. Thanks a lot and have a happy New Year!

I am building my second lightsaber right now, before building my first I had zero electronics experience, or soldering experience. I took my time and read through the manual pretty thoroughly and it honestly wasn't that hard if you do enough research. I say that adding sound is definitely achievable.

Well, if it is achievable, then adding a sound module would be good. I don't mind reading the manual! Thanks!

I shall add a sound module to my parts list then. Another thing I am uncertain about is button placement and button type. I wanted to have the button on the side but I am unsure about where to place it as I don't know where the electronics will be fitting inside.

This is a hard question to answer. Generally you want the button mounted as far forward as you can get without running into your emitter. How far back from that point you can go will depend on the rest of your design.

I feel this could be an issue with the way I was envisioning this hilt. In order to get the slots on the connector to light up, the emitter is presumably going to have to go below that, which means the button will have to be fairly low down. I just drew out a quick diagram below. Yes, it is not a circuit diagram by any means but just a way of visualising the space. Thoughts?
    SaberInternals.jpg
    Last edited by BaronBlackaby; 01-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Several. You won’t have enough room in the spot you have allocated for electronics for the electronics you’ll need. The windowed piece you have is designed for something like a Crystal Chamber, and the diameter of that piece is 1.25” as opposed to the 1” of the blade. If you want a design that makes more sense, maybe lose the crystal chamber piece, and have Tim mill a couple of custom slots into a blade holder.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I did have concerns about the space so thank you for clarifying that. I think I understand what you mean about the windowed piece: so you would suggest custom milling the same style of window into a blade holder? That sounds great, but is there a blade holder that can be attached below the current one or would I have to drill it into the current blade holder? I would be happy to move things around like this (adding a longer female threaded connector if required):
    Saber3.jpg