Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whoso pulleth out this sword from this stone...

Default Whoso pulleth out this sword from this stone...

“Whoso pulleth out this sword from this stone, is right wise King born of all England.”

Ok, lightsabers will cut through pretty much anything and everything, so they wouldn't really get stuck in a block of stone, but I had the chance to make a really cool display base for my latest saber, aptly named

Excalibur

This saber came about from a friend who wanted a custom lightsaber built, and during the design discussions he asked about a crossguard saber like Kylo Ren. I'm not a real big fan of that saber, so I said I could make him a hilt with a real crossguard like from a claymore, and the only name that came to mind for it was Excalibur. We worked on a hilt in the builder, but the pommel I wanted to use isn't in there yet, and there's no way to model a crossguard either, so as I'm talking him through the design I'm telling him "this will look this way and the crossguard will look like this and try to imagine this" and "don't worry, trust me this will look really cool" LOL. I made a render of what we came up with for him to try and picture what his would look like, he was skeptical, but trusted me.

I had the whole thing designed and machined in my head by the time we were done talking, now all I had to do was make it a reality. Tim was still in the process of restocking the store, so I ordered parts as they became available, bought material and started machining a custom blade holder and crossguard. Powdercoated to get a nice faux leather look. Machined a brass band for the pommel and etched the name Excalibur around the circumference in Aurebesh. Etched in some celtic knots and gryphons in the crossguard.

Now my friend only had the renders to look at while he waited for me to get all the machining, etching, powdercoating and assembly completed, so I was nervous when I revealed it to him. Those nerves faded when his jaw dropped and his eyes went wide as saucers as I handed it to him. After he was done exploring his new saber he said that he had a picture in his mind of what it was going to look like from all the design discussions we had, but the real thing was way better than he could have ever imagined.

My friend is a total Star Wars fanatic, from movies to video games. He also dresses in costume and entertains children in local hospitals. So I loaded this saber up with every movie based font I thought would fit his Jedi nature. I also loaded it with Gojira and Thrasher because they are fun! And last but not least, Steel Sword just cuz it fits the design.

Here's a quick run down on the specs.

Core is all MHS parts
    Custom reworked ribbed sections for the grips
    Custom machined blade holder
    Custom machined crossguard
    Custom machined brass pommel band
    Custom powdercoating
    Salt water etching on the pommel band and crossguard
    Madcow style switches
    Crytal Focus 8.0 with CEX
    Tri Cree R/G/rB LED
    7.4V 18650 Li-ion battery pack
    Recharge port with custom brass kill key
    Custom display stand with custom etched brass name plaque
    Custom key fob blade holder wrench etched with his Jedi initials and the emblem of the Jedi Order

And now on to some glams.

Last edited by Quixotic Jedi; 12-18-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Dang! That there is a mighty fine saber.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

That is awesome. Period.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Now THIS is a crossguard saber. Awesome work!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Wow, solid work and perfect display!

Blog Entries

Very nice!

Whoa! Now that is an elegant weapon for a less civilised age. Amazing! Brilliant display stone as well.

Greenie

Now THAT'S a crossguard. That whole piece is amazing.