Thread: Custom Control Box

Board Lurker

Default Custom Control Box

Hey everyone,

I posted this on a couple other forums, but wanted to as here as well!

Does anyone know how to make a custom control box? I’ve been searching and can’t find how (especially without nice machine equipment). I know TCSS has some blanks and it’s large box that people customize, but I’m looking more for a build from scratch kind of thing. I really appreciate everyone’s help!

I have my hilt parts ordered. They are all MHS extension pieces or double male pieces. I have a rotary tool and will have a hobby vice and drill to use. No more significant tools than that. I was hoping to get a lower profile box instead of a big block type one. Maybe something closer to this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...e-20-P984.aspx or http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...e-16-P695.aspx in terms of profile. I’m hoping to house 2 Tactile type switches and a a slide switch.

Thanks!

Hey Raktus, I made one (or two) for my daughter's saber. If you have the material you wanna make it from (I assume aluminium) use a rounded file or appropriate rotary tool to make the basic contour for the saber OD. Then refine the shape using sandpaper wrapped over the saber (MHS part) and drill it out as required.

image.jpg image.jpg

Greenie

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Hey Raktus, I made one (or two) for my daughter's saber. If you have the material you wanna make it from (I assume aluminium) use a rounded file or appropriate rotary tool to make the basic contour for the saber OD. Then refine the shape using sandpaper wrapped over the saber (MHS part) and drill it out as required.

image.jpg image.jpg

Greenie
    Thanks Greenie! Is there a good way to hollow it out? i.e. mill it out do that the switches can be housed by the box? I don’t have an actual mill...

Without a mill, that could be tricky. I not sure what to suggest. The one I made only housed a button to activate the tact switch mounted in the hilt.

Raktus, for my current build I'm looking at using 3D printing to make my control box. I'm currently modeling it on the computer. When its done I'll have someone with aluminum 3D printing abilities (e.g. Shapeways) print the part. This could work for you too.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Shiblon Vars View Post
    Raktus, for my current build I'm looking at using 3D printing to make my control box. I'm currently modeling it on the computer. When its done I'll have someone with aluminum 3D printing abilities (e.g. Shapeways) print the part. This could work for you too.
    This is a good idea too. Thanks. I just gotta get up to speed with how to do that. What software do you use?

I use Autodesk Fusion 360. Its a decent 3D modeling software for free. I believe its what Darth Chasm uses as well.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Shiblon Vars View Post
    I use Autodesk Fusion 360. Its a decent 3D modeling software for free. I believe its what Darth Chasm uses as well.
    Ok cool! I’ll give that a try. Thanks!!

Blog Entries

I was also about to suggest 3D printing one. May I also suggest OpenSCAD. It's free and opensource. Not a mouse drag/pull/draw kind of 3D model software though. It's more about math and codes. Here is a yoda control box i made up in about 45 minutes using openscad. It's really easy to make custom lightsaber parts with this software.

yodacontrolbox.jpg