Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build this time with Copper bits

It's coming along beautifully!

Quote Originally Posted by Illyiss View Post
    It's coming along beautifully!
    Thank you! I like how it's looking as well. I feel like every time I make a hilt it gets better. This my second full build but I have tried and abandoned 3 others so it's a bit of a progression for me.

In other news I got some time in the shop and hit on a partial answer to my issue. I decided to cut a window into the blade holder so I would get some shine through when a blade is installed. I don't own a milling machine unfortunately so that meant using a drill press to remove a lot of it and a hand file on the rest. Keeping things symmetrical is a real pain using this method. I think it worked out in the end.

qExXAUM.jpg

I still need to add something else to the bottom but the slot adds a lot. I think I am going to cut some more pieces from my copper pipe to add some more interesting geometry down there.

I also added some screws to the pommel so it can stay attached but also be removed in need. And finally I added a brass blade retention screw.

ze84aY3.jpg

urC5gkQ.jpg

Next up I will need to come up with some ornamental copper bits, then actually glue these pieces in place and do the leather wrap.
    Last edited by minorhero; 01-05-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Today I got quite a lot of shop time which I put almost entirely to good use!

I figured out most of my issues with my copper bottom section. I first tried to use copper strips to give the bottom some more texture/geometry but frankly it looked too plain. Here is what it looked like:

dwLp07Y.jpg

I decided that there was not enough contrast and abandoned the copper strip idea. I then went back to an idea I have had for a while. I wanted to use screws to make the copper parts look riveted in place. After a bit of experimenting I adopted it and drilled and tapped the holes for 6-32 hex screws. Here is how it looks now:

6E6XmCP.jpg

l1A5lWl.jpg

Overall I am pretty happy with how this is looking. I am a little concerned about the slot I cut into the bottom. Because I cut through 3 layers to make it happen, I can see the different layers edge on through the slot. Its a little odd looking. I am thinking I might try to resolve the issue by either covering up the slot, or partially covering up the slot, or by smearing some epoxy/JB weld in there to make it look like one continuous layer instead of 3 different layers. I also need to start thinking about the leather wrap.

Sorry for the very crude drawing, but I would try something like this.

image.jpg

[QUOTE=minorhero;271995]I got some more time in my shop tonight. I was able to drill the hole for the power port and filed the copper shrouds to allow the power port some space.

I also altered the bottom aluminum shield a bit to make it more interesting.

Ok.. now THAT looks bad ass. How the heck did you get that recharge port in that location and wired up?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Sorry for the very crude drawing, but I would try something like this.

image.jpg
    This is a really good idea I definitely plan to try it but I am not sure I will be able to make it work only because my tooling is pretty crude. I will need to do it all with a Dremel and hand files and the width of the "sleeve" (for lack of a better term) will only be maybe 4 or 5 mm which might be too thin for me to keep symmetrical. I like the idea though because not only does it encourage more screws but it would provide a smooth finish to the window.

Ive used aluminium and brass sheet thin enough to cut with scissors. No dremmel or filing required, just a little sanding may be. It'll work

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post

Ok.. now THAT looks bad ass. How the heck did you get that recharge port in that location and wired up?
    Well it's not wired up yet heh. The tube is all one piece so accessing the location is pretty annoying at present. However it is doable because there are two relatively large holes nearby. One for the switch and one for the window. Through these I can manipulate the recharge port at least enough to connect some jst connectors anyway. Or at least that is the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Ive used aluminium and brass sheet thin enough to cut with scissors. No dremmel or filing required, just a little sanding may be. It'll work
    I just bought some brass at my local hardware store. I will give this a try in the next few days. First I will make a paper template to refine the fit.

Small update today. My wife and I were discussing a suitably pretentious names for my 2nd saber and she came up with Copperhead. It stuck.

I also have mark 1 of the leather wrap. I am not sure if I am done yet or not. The other option is doing the same thing only a little neater. Or do a leather wrap where its a strip of leather wound around the hilt. Thoughts?

oVK20Ln.jpg

pfvDkU9.jpg