Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2nd Build this time with Copper bits

I like the leather as it is. Nice contrast with the copper.

Some more progress tonight.

I tried to do the metal sheet trim around the window but I couldn't get the sheet to bend in a way that was aesthetically pleasing. Its possible I had too thick a sheet or maybe I just am not very skilled at this kind of shaping. Either way I couldn't get it to work. In the wake of that I decided to try and cover up most of the window but not all of it. This is what I came up with first:

7aW3F6y.jpg

I haven't decided if this is the answer yet or not. I had a second idea which involved using the welding tips I purchased (and am already using on the top of the box). Basically I use a similar small piece of aluminum sleeve material as the picture above, but drill two holes for the welding tips to stick through. The welding tips have a very small hole right in the middle which would allow a very small amount of shine through. I made this happen earlier tonight but this one will require letting the JB weld dry before I can show it.

Bit of an update. I got a pulse!

38qXCwY.jpg

Just need to wire up the speaker and I will have the internals fully functional. Then to exercise my much beleaguered kramfu.

Blog Entries

────────────────────░███░
    ───────────────────░█░░░█░
    ──────────────────░█░░░░░█░
    ─────────────────░█░░░░░█░
    ──────────░░░───░█░░░░░░█░
    ─────────░███░──░█░░░░░█░
    ───────░██░░░██░█░░░░░█░
    ──────░█░░█░░░░██░░░░░█░
    ────░██░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░
    ───░█░░░█░░░░░░░██░░░█░
    ──░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──░█░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░█░
    ─░█░░░█░░░░██░░░░░░█░░█░
    ─░█░░░░█░░░░░██░░░█░░░█░
    ─░█░█░░░█░░░░░░███░░░░█░
    ░█░░░█░░░██░░░░░█░░░░░█░
    ░█░░░░█░░░░█████░░░░░█░
    ░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░█░░░░░█░
    ░█░█░░░░██░░░░█░░░░░█░
    ─░█░█░░░░░████░░░░██░
    ─░█░░█░░░░░░░█░░██░█░
    ──░█░░██░░░██░░█░░░█░
    ───░██░░███░░██░█░░█░
    ────░██░░░███░░░█░░░█░
    ──────░███░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

And done! Well mostly. I am having some issues but I am hopeful they are due to a low battery level. My hilt is extra sensitive and keeps having blade hits go off but I read that this is likely a low battery issue. I also have no light from my AV switch which I am also hopeful is a low battery issue but that one I am less sure about. I am reluctant to open the hilt up again until I actually charge the battery though. If anyone knows for certain that the AV switch issue is NOT from low battery let me know and I will just suck it up and re-open the hilt.

That said, this hilt came together a LOT easier then my first saber. The first saber took 3 days to get it to actually fit into the hilt and eventually required me to abandon all of my chassis designs. This time everything fit into the hilt with the exception of the speaker holder. I had to ditch the speaker holder when I discovered that even turned down on my lathe the speaker holder plus speaker installed was too big to slide into my hilt gracefully (inner diameter of my hilt is about 1.17").

I also had a better wiring design this time and made ample use of JST connectors which made a big difference in my one piece hilt. Here is a picture of the wiring process:

M6eKlFv.jpg

I also made my first blade plug to go with this saber. Its a very simple one. I used a piece of spare blade stock and the inner piece of a garden hose converter sawed off. I also glued two layers of garden hose screen to cover up the inside of the central hole. This worked pretty well. Here is the saber all lit up:

fK3CabA.jpg

bXoWgH6.jpg

jHGXLVm.jpg

I lost my battery charger in a recent house move so I will need to get a new one. Once that comes in I will finally be able to charge this battery and hopefully that resolves my AV issue. Otherwise its done! Hilt 3 will be up next but I am at step 0 on that one. It is going to be a totally MHS design though. I am done with drilling steel tubes without use of a mill.

Wow! Looks great! Love the copper look.

awesome.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."