Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build this time with Copper bits

Default 2nd Build this time with Copper bits (Copperhead)

Hello folks,

I am finally ready to start my second build. Originally I planned for my second build to be a sith saber for my wife and started on that hilt a while ago. But I was ultimately unhappy with how that hilt was progressing so I abandoned the project and began a new (second) build.

This new build is going to be a smaller saber around 7 inches long. The body of the saber is a 1.25" steel bike tube. This size is nice because I can use MHS parts to fit over the bike tube. It will also feature 1" copper tubing which I am bending to fit around the outside of my steel body. A special feature is a kind of inset glass eye which will actually be a door "peep hole" I picked up from the hardware store. I want to put an LED on the inside of that peep hole so light will shine out when the saber is powered on. Insetting the glass eye was accomplished by using a 1/2" copper tube end cap and filing a hole large enough to JB weld that cap down into the saber itself.

I also plan to do a leather wrap and somewhere there needs to be recharge port. I am considering using allen head screws on the corners of my copper plates to make it look like the copper pieces are "riveted" on but I haven't decided if that is a good idea yet. I also need to do a lot of sanding to get rid of tool marks (or at least even it out a bit) and add some greebies.

Internals include a 3d printed chasis, BBW cree star, and a pico crumble. Pictures follow:

AKq41k4.jpg

JHIZ5pR.jpg

DSbCH3P.jpg
    Last edited by minorhero; 01-08-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Those copper shrouds are ***y! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Looks fantastic.

Thank you both! its proving to be a fun build so far.

I only get a few hours in my shop a week but fortunately the last couple of days I have been able to work the saber. I spent most of last night cutting and shaping a small piece of a "peep hole" sleeve I was planning to use as part of a greebie. Towards the end of the evening I dropped it while using a grinder attachment for my dremel. The piece went spinning off into the nether and after about 10 minutes of searching I decided I didn't really LOVE that greebie anyway..... ;P

I did take a bench mounted wire wheel to my saber hilt to even out the scratches and get a bit of a "matt" look to the body. The underside still needs sanding since I used a rough file to shape the inset "eye" and those tool marks are still present. Here is what it currently looks like:

2tue9t7.jpg

h3iRQrn.jpg

Was able to get into my shop tonight and got some more progress done. I cut off the stem of a draw pull and then drilled and shaped it till it fit onto the hilt. I also used two welding tips to fill my drilled holes. As a greebie I think it has possibilities though it needs a little bit more work.

EK0C7uP.jpg

Small update. Got back into the shop today. I was not happy with the box greebie last time. I used a solid bar of aluminum and cut off a piece of it to make a new box. It took a LONG time to shape it using only hand files after I used a dremel to cut it off the rest of the bar. In the end I am much happier with the new greebie, it looks like this:

lsYTNsQ.jpg

I have started work on the underside of the hilt. The peep hole eye is spiffy and all but there is a lot of copper down that that really needs something else in it to break up the design a bit. I have been expirementing with different things and thus far the best I have come up with is this:

GKBt37s.jpg

J5vn0by.jpg

7MkWmRy.jpg

I am definitely open to suggestions on other ways to break up the homogeneous nature of the copper shroud. This is the best I have figured out thus far.

I think some simple pattern engraving or etching would like cool on the copper section, if you are up for it, maybe a tree/vine crawling its way up the saber, not sure if that's the look you are going for though

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    I think some simple pattern engraving or etching would like cool on the copper section, if you are up for it, maybe a tree/vine crawling its way up the saber, not sure if that's the look you are going for though
    I do want to do some etching but I have never done it before and am thus reluctant to do it on this build. I think saber 3 will end up doing some kind of etching. For this build I am experimenting with different layers of metal.

I have come up with another alternative which can be seen below. This one I think is better. I plan to use some kind of screw in the corners to make it look like the metal pieces are riveted in place I think.

SuoP4Ni.jpg

eIkj6U5.jpg

WkWQ0uG.jpg

I got some more time in my shop tonight. I was able to drill the hole for the power port and filed the copper shrouds to allow the power port some space.

I also altered the bottom aluminum shield a bit to make it more interesting.

VvOX2f3.jpg

qdwnDl8.jpg