Thread: Best practices for routing wires through chassis?

Blog Entries

Default Best practices for routing wires through chassis?

My number one challenge in this hobby is to arrange wires neatly in the chassis. Try as I may, I always end up with something like a bird’s nest. I’ve taken to using chassis, e.g., 3D printed from Shapeways, to help keep wires neat but that leads to the problem of getting wires through the channels. It’s like trying to push a string. So, here are some questions for master sabersmiths about best practices.

1. Do you thread wires through chassis before installing in the hilt, do you install the chassis and magically push wires through the chassis, or what?

2. How do you manage the inevitable problem of having too much slack in wires versus cutting a wire too short to manipulate toward the board?

3. Do you allocate a hidden space for messy wiring, for example for slack in wires?

Thanks in advance.

See replies in Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    My number one challenge in this hobby is to arrange wires neatly in the chassis. Try as I may, I always end up with something like a bird’s nest. I’ve taken to using chassis, e.g., 3D printed from Shapeways, to help keep wires neat but that leads to the problem of getting wires through the channels. It’s like trying to push a string. So, here are some questions for master sabersmiths about best practices.

1. Do you thread wires through chassis before installing in the hilt, do you install the chassis and magically push wires through the chassis, or what? Normally, yes.

2. How do you manage the inevitable problem of having too much slack in wires versus cutting a wire too short to manipulate toward the board? It all depends on the hilt, and your design.

3. Do you allocate a hidden space for messy wiring, for example for slack in wires? Sometimes.

Thanks in advance.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'm no "master"; however....

I normally leave my wires long. I do string them through chassis. STRING. depending on the bundle, sometimes using string like a fish tape will work, other times I've used wire clotheshangers to act as wire fishes. I try to plan my nest to be out of sight, and to be as in-nested as possible. shrink on wire groups can help keep things a bit more organized. I shrink my LED feeds together. I shrink switch wires together. I shrink accents/chamber led wires together. I only separate them near the board, and cut to length, and generally this leaves a neater internal area. Sometimes I think it could be better, but others it works out like a charm. The more experience you have with a particular chassis system or set up, the neater you can make the wiring. Experience counts oodles.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

In this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrA-FiAvR5U
    Madcow shows (at about 13:25 thru 15:23) how he uses a
    rotary tool (Dremel) with a stone or burr type sanding/grinding tip
    in order to cut a channel for wire management, in the acrylic chassis
    discs sold here.
    Last edited by TwinMill; 12-08-2017 at 06:34 PM.

In most cases, wired can be run through existing openings. I’ve used PC/18650 disks for CF builds and I’ve ALWAYS been able to run wires through the existing openings without trouble.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com