Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom Saber Rebuild

Cheers. I'm sure there will be some interesting moments on the way!!

Ok so just finished the CADs for the 3D printed chassis for the saber.

A bit different this in that the front end (pink) is left inside the saber and routes all the wiring from the external switches and LEDs to the chassis. It also holds the Mosfets and Resistors for the Tri Cree.

The business end houses everything else and is a push fit onto the 8 Way aviation connector at the nose. The friction of the connector together with the tight fit of the ribs and tap (fawcett to the americans here) which will be fixed to the backend where the sound chamber is will hold it all together.

The electronics and battery are housed inside opening access panels on each side with the inside custom designed to mount the arduino nano board and associated bits and a 18650 battery the other side. A removable USB cover allows programming in situ.

Overall View
    Chassis Concept.jpg

X Ray view with notes
    Chassis Concept xray.jpg

Any comments welcome

Well my tri cree arrived so a couple of pics of the blade test. Pretty pleased so far, just need to get the electronics done.

Saber Green.jpg Saber Blue.jpg Saber Red.jpg

I am also having to revise the chassis to be a little (nay a lot) more boring. Although I loved what I did they wanted £72 ($100 ish) to print it. Bit too rich for me. The new one works out about £30 plus postage which is still pricey but manageable.

Ok think I've finished now. The blade is looking good and the arduino based sound and driver is working well using the great fxsaberos sketch. Big thanks to those guys. Some great coding there.

Heres a few of the colours I've chosen as mains.

20180112_202737.jpg20180112_202847.jpg20180112_202759.jpg20180112_202813.jpg20180112_202829.jpg

Yes it works great and I didn't realise when I set out that the colour profiles are saved per soundfont so once set up you can pretty instantly switch between your presets. Thats a great feature as rhe gravity colour works so well to set the scheme in the first place.

I am still having issues with swing sensitivity though. The default is just far too tame.

I've actually got it turned up quite a bit in one of my sabers, I think it's set to 500 or so.

Ok cool I'll give that a go. At the moment unless I do a spin where the hilt is spinning around or a fast reverse direction ie one way and then straight back the other it doesn't even go into a swing sound. I'd like it to trigger as it swooshes across even one time.

Well in the end I have disabled Quarternion swing detection. It feels better to me without it on. All is now good. Can you tell me if its possible to make it louder though as it was very loud with the temporary 0.5W 8ohm speaker I had in there (sound quality wasn't great though) now I've popped in a KS 8 ohm 2W bass speaker and although it sounds a million times better the volume seems about 75% of what it was.

I quick clip of my FXSaberOS saber!