Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prizm V4, R.I.C.E, and the MacBook!

Question Prizm V4, R.I.C.E, and the MacBook!

Hello again, I was wondering if anyone had issues with getting their saber with a PrizmV4 to connect to RICE when using a Mac. I have followed the instructions, both in the manual, and what video tutorials I could find. I have successfully downloaded the RICE app and it launches, but will not connect to my saber to allow me to control it through RICE. I have double and triple checked my wiring for my TXD and RXD in my RICE port. At first admittedly they were backwards, as I am using a metal walled RICE port. After careful examination, I switched the wires to their proper orientation, and I still cannot get my saber to connect. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Todd

Sometimes I've had to turn the saber on and off while connected then auto search and connect. Try that. Is your saber turned on, blade on, and sound on when you're trying to connect?

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thank you for the reply. I first plug the RICE cable into my computer, then I plug the other end into the port on my saber, next I launch the app. When the app is fully open I pull the kill key and start the saber. I try pushing "autoscan" then "connect" I try this on both com port options that come up. Nothing works. I have even tried turning the saber off and back on while it is connected just as you have suggested. It is pretty frustrating.

Switch the TXD and RXD wires on the plug or port, and try it again.

I have addressed the TXD and RXD issue. At first admittedly they were backwards, but thanks to the diagram on TCSS for the metal sleeved RICE port, I determined they were backwards when I started, since I have switched them, no improvement has been made.

maybe you got a bad 2102 USB? How about your solders on the board? Are they good? Mine both worked right off the bat, once I got the TXD and RXD lines straight. It was a bit finicky even when the lines were correct in getting it to recognize the saber. I have had to reboot the saber a couple of times while it was plugged in.

Maybe the board signal is off, or there is an issue with the board?

I was wondering about the board...or maybe the USB. I hadn't heard of any issues, but then again I am new to the forum. The solders on the wires are tight and clean at the board and the port. I am hoping it's not the USB. I just bought it. It came in only three days ago, so it likely is not a 2012. How would I know if the board signal is off? I'm assuming the board is just fine because the saber functions as expected in all other areas. I've even tried re-downloading the drivers from plecterlabs.com and "starting over" so to speak. nothing is working. I will quadruple check the TXD and RXD wires today. They are correctly wired as per the manual and the diagram of the port on TCSS, but I will switch them and see if that helps.

Oh! quick question...when I plug the USB side of the cable into my computer, it should show up in the device list, as if it were a flash drive or something similar...correct? If that is the case, I might have solved the issue, because when I plug the cable into my computer, it doesn't show anything in my device list. I push finder and it is nowhere to be found.

Yes, the 2102 is sending a device signal to your computer even without a saber plugged into it, and your computer should recognize it. A normal USB plug won't work, it has to be a 2102 USB plug with the drivers on it.

I found this out trying to home make a rice plug. It can be done, but you have to buy 2102 USB Plugs. I have now made 3 of these. When I plug them in, windows 10 does its alert tone to let you know its in there.

Maybe you have a bad 2102 plug, or your computer isn't recognizing it for some reason.

Tom

I don't have a RICE capable card, so I don't have a cable to test, but I would expect it to show up in the hardware list.

Apple menu->About this Mac->More Info->Hardware->USB

You won't see it in Finder, like you would a flash drive. Finder only shows storage devices.