Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: DCLS-006le

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    those brass nubs coming up through the hilt, are they connected somehow to the switchbox, or is that a separate piece altogether on the inside? Lots of machine work to get that reveal, accurate machine work. That looks incredible.

Tom
    Theres no switch box. That brass piece with the screw is simply decoration and the keep for the eventual d ring. The brass inserts will be secured but how is something I’m going to keep to myself
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Yeah, I figured. I couldn't do that kind of machine work even if you told me. I have minimal metal working skills, although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Hahahaha!

Blog Entries

Still a little clean up with some files and sand paper around the edges but this is looking pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Check this out! Engraving for extra fine details.

In the Batman movie in 1989, the Joker asked, "Where does he get all these fantastic toys?".

Yep, that is me right now.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Blog Entries

In the Batman movie in 1989, the Joker asked, "Where does he get all these fantastic toys?".

Yep, that is me right now.

Tom
    Hah!

It's an obsession I tell ya. I was just talking with jbkuma about supplies, gadgets and tools and how its getting out of hand. I see something and I turn into Sm饌gol "we wants it" "we must haves it."

Great video, D_C. I was planning on doing something very similar for my saber, with faux etched or scored circuitry beneath a reveal sheath with holes in it. Brass sink tube sanded down for a sheath with the circuits etched into the MHS below. Similar to how Arklight Arsenal does his etching. I don't have a cricut machine, but you design has given me some additional inspiration. Love the layered effect you've achieved and it's exactly what I've been thinking about for weeks now.

I had an idea for your Louver vents. Instead of bending them on one face as a flap that descends downwards into the saber, you could try a double bend, but this would be tougher to do given the size of the louvers. See the screenshot. If you make cuts where the red lines are, you could then bend one flap up, and push the opposite down for a more dramatic effect. Of course, you have tolerances and OD/ID's to maintain. This could help if you don't want to bend those louver flaps down too far into the saber, you could compensate by bending one side up a bit. Just an idea.

Louver Vent Idea.jpg
    Last edited by SFXER001; 03-08-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Love that "lived in" feel.

I’m guessing you got the purple pearl effect on the brass by heating it?
    Great idea!

You do awesome work!