Thread: Question about Luxeon red LED

Default Question about Luxeon red LED

I got my bench power supply the other day and I finally got around to measuring the forward voltages of the LEDs for my next build. It's a tri-Rebel Luxeon, Lime/Cyan/Red. The Lime and Cyan are fine, but the Red seems weird to me. I can't seem to get it above about 800mA or so, and that pushes the voltage up to like 5V. When measuring it at the 3.7V I'll actually be using, it tops out at about 700mA. Is this typical? The datasheet lists a max forward voltage of 3.51 or 2.8, depending on the exact model, and it seems like I should be able to run it at 1000mA regardless.

It's still decently bright at 700mA, this just seems really weird to me.

Luxeon red's and ambers should not be run higher than 700mA, it says that on the tcss store page and most other places.

I wasn't planning to actually run it above that, but I was assuming there was a difference between "should not" and "can not."

Usually if you give a red Luxeon rebel more than 700ma, it burns out, or at the very least gets really dim. Don't do it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.