Thread: newbie confusion when testing LED

Default newbie confusion when testing LED

Hey guys,

So I'm still struggling to actually complete my first build, been almost a year now. I've completed it twice and both times I get no power so I've decided to wire all the components together (NB V3, tri-cree BBW, bass speaker, and switch - I omitted the accent LED and recharge port) externally just to test them out. So here's my question:

I have repeatedly achieved illumination on all three dies on the tri-cree separately, both blues will light up simultaneously when wired together, then when the white is connected to the circuit none of them illuminate. I assume it is a lack of enough voltage to drive them all? If that's the case how is that achieved when they are connected to the board? Does the power extender have anything to do with it?

I currently have everything wired together and when I push the switch...IT WORKS!!!! I get sound, light, and even the swing effect. However, as soon as I give it a tap to activate FOC, the whole thing cuts off Could this be related to the white die, a faulty sound board, or even a low battery? The batter gave me a high of 3.5V with a lot of bouncing around when tested so I don't know if that's a reliable result.

I'd love to hear thoughts on either situation. Thanks guys!

Battery could be bad, protection circuit fault, battery could be dead, or there could be a short in one of the leads on the white LED, or a bridged pad around the white LED. Could be a few things. Charge batteries first. Then trade out batteries. Then track down potential shorts.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

What KIND of battery - be specific.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for the info guys. I took a magnifying glass to the soundoard trying to find any bridged pads and couldn't see any, so I don't think that's the problem. As to the question about the battery, it's a Panasonic 18650 3.7V 3400mah from the shop.

Sounds to me like your FoC is tyripping the battery's protection circuit. Are you using resistors on the leds? The blues should be wired in parallel to each other, each with their own resistor, and the white should have one as well.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Ahh, that's possible. I omitted the resistors on the blues as I figured for testing purposes they might not have been necessary...looks like I was wrong. I never intended to resistor the white on the full build as it would only be on during a FoC event, and I've been told it's not really needed.