Thread: 3-D Printed Lightsaber!!!!

Talking 3-D Printed Lightsaber!!!!

Hello Saber Enthusiasts! I came across this store on Etsy (TraywickDesigns) that offered 3-D printed hollow hilts. They only have three or four that are hollow but decided to give it a shot. I choose the Mara Jade Saber as I already have a Luke (ANH) saber. I left a list of Materials used as this was an easy stunt saber.

MATERIALS:

1.Tri Cree LED- RGRB-for a pink Saber
    2. 3-D Printed Light Saber
    3. 5 minute Epoxy Resin (Loctite)
    4. Black and Silver Acrylic paint
    5. 200 Grit Sandpaper
    6. Dremel tool
    7. Latching Switch
    8. Brush
    9. Hex screwdriver
    10. 2 8-32 set screws
    11. KR Sabers Perfect Purple Circuit Board
    12. A couple of hours of your time

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

I hope y ou guys like this as this was a lot of fun to make!

Ok have some questions as i want to print one too. What material did you print in? What layer thickness(300,200,100)? Did you print it as one whole piece? If multiple pieces how did you conect them? I had thought of a slip together design and some set screw. Love the look. Thanks for any info you provide.

Default Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    Ok have some questions as i want to print one too. What material did you print in? What layer thickness(300,200,100)? Did you print it as one whole piece? If multiple pieces how did you conect them? I had thought of a slip together design and some set screw. Love the look. Thanks for any info you provide.
    I purchased the 3-D printed pieces as I do not have a 3-D printer. It came in four main bodie pieces (emitter, body, grip and pommel). It also came with the fake buttons and detail pieces. I used an industrial strength epoxy resin to glue the little detail pieces and the grip section to the body. There were set screws to attach the emitter to the body. I drilled out a hole for the grip section so that I can attach the pommel as I have to get to the battery pack. I hope this helps

I've been doing a lot of prototyping with 3D printed parts. I have a couple fully done 3D printed hilts shells, but I haven't had time to finish the electronics yet (fully custom) so I'm holding off on the reveals. I'm using internal aluminum tubing for structure. I had no intention at first of keeping it plastic, but I am really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I've been doing a lot of prototyping with 3D printed parts. I have a couple fully done 3D printed hilts shells, but I haven't had time to finish the electronics yet (fully custom) so I'm holding off on the reveals. I'm using internal aluminum tubing for structure. I had no intention at first of keeping it plastic, but I am really happy with it.
    That is a great idea for adding aluminum to strengthen the structure. Hilt will be thicker though. I am just leaving it as a shelf queen for now. Just nice knowing that if I want it to light up, it will.

But great idea with the aluminum structure on the inside.