Thread: Fixing MR 2003 Darth Vader, need help.

Board Lurker

Default Fixing MR 2003 Darth Vader, need help.

Hi, I've had this MR 2003 Darth Vader saber sitting around for a few years not functional, and missing a few things, with the body in bad shape, also missing the clamp that should be in the middle.
    IMG_20171024_043043.jpg
    MR 2003 Darth Vader Internals.jpg
    I've since replaced some screws with ones I had lying around.

Now the problem I have is that the soundboard is not working properly.
    Through trial and error I've determined that it has to be the board, as the battery pack and its connections work fine when powering a single LED, however I still do not know if the speaker works or not.
    The board does end up giving power to the outputs to the LED, but is not enough to turn it on. I do not know exactly how much it is sending out, but does have enough to dimly light a 12V 3W Fuse, but still not the LED, and I cannot figure out why. Also using the same fuse method on the wires going to the speaker, there is a dim light showing up again showing that it does have power in the line, but is not turning the speaker on. I might just be messing up the outputs to the LED, but as the speaker, which I still do not know works, doesn't turn on either, it leads me to believe the board is broken.

Here are some pictures of the board itself.
    MR 2003 Darth Vader Soundboard front.jpg
    MR 2003 Darth Vader Soundboard back.jpg

The bar on the switch which you move up or down to turn the thing on and off has broken off but can be used with a small screw driver, and I plan on trying to attach a momentary switch to it, still not entirely sure on how to do that either.

Basically can anyone familiar with this stuff give me a hand?
    And before I get asked, I cannot really get other spare parts to see if something works, like a speaker or the movement and clash sensor.
    Last edited by Volern; 10-24-2017 at 04:37 PM.

I'm working on this exact same 03 Vader saber right now. I got my LED to power on, but I used the brown wire for power and the other wires for the ground. The led comes on, and its very bright but the sound doesn't come on. I was confused as to whether the brown is the power or ground? So the purple is the power? I tried to get the led to come on from that and no dice.

I know mine worked because I tried it before I started.

I was told that the wiring for this is similar to the 05 Luke, so that's why I used the brown wire, as shown in this photo from another thread.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...oundwiring.jpg

Should be blue / purple to + & all others to -.