Thread: White Blade color is pinkish NBV4

Default White Blade color is pinkish NBV4

I am wondering if my resistors are resisting too much. When I configure my blade for a White blade color (1023,1023,1023) it ends up being slightly pinkish. If I assume all my connections are good and correct then the only thing I can think that might be doing this is a lack of green and blue. I used a Tri-Cree RGB Led with a NBV4 with a PeX wired to a 3.7v battery. The red led has a 1ohm/2W resistor, the green has a .5ohm/3W, and the blue has a .5ohm/3W. I used 3W because that was the only .5ohm resistor I could get from TCSS. Are the resistors to much for the green and blue? I did the math and seemed ok, but maybe I'm overkilling? Thanks
    IMG_E1035.jpg

LEDs don't perfectly match the spec sheet. Plecter Labs has a video to show you how to measure your specific LED's forward voltage. The 3W isn't hurting anything, except space in your hilt. That said the 0.47 ohm one is commonly used with green and blue and a 3.7V battery.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    LEDs don't perfectly match the spec sheet. Plecter Labs has a video to show you how to measure your specific LED's forward voltage. The 3W isn't hurting anything, except space in your hilt. That said the 0.47 ohm one is commonly used with green and blue and a 3.7V battery.

Thanks! Yeah I figured the it being 3W wasn't a problem. If I understand resistors correctly the wattage takes care of heat. And I can't imagine .03ohms (.5-.47) is going to make the led that much brighter but maybe I'm wrong. I'll check out the vid and hopefully learn something. Thank you very much for your info.

Sorry for the confusion. The change from 0.5 ohm to 0.47 ohm isn't for the brightness. The 0.47 ohm one is a 0.5W resistor, instead of a 3W, so it is much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. The change from 0.5 ohm to 0.47 ohm isn't for the brightness. The 0.47 ohm one is a 0.5W resistor, instead of a 3W, so it is much smaller.
    Quite alright. Thank you anyway. I watched the video and definitely learned I need to buy some equipment so I don't have to mess with all this trial and error nonsense.
    Continuing with led issue, I disconnected the 0.5 ohm resistors from the green and blue last night. It worked. The brightness is a lot better and now I can get a pretty accurate white color in the blade. Then I started having really bad speaker static. So I recharged the battery and left it alone for the night. Today the static isn't too bad but still there after prolonged run time. I ordered the 0.47 ohm resistors from TCSS and I will install them. Also, the 1 ohm 2W resistor on the red led gets EXTREMELY hot during the white configuration. Thanks again for your help!

Ok so if anyone is reading this because of a similar problem or just curiosity, here's the conclusion. When I calculated my resistor values I was not rounding up on my battery voltage. (3.7v to 4v) doy!? I thought I could get away with a lower resistor on the red led.(1ohm 2w) And then on the green I went a little too high.(.5ohm 3W) Now, everything is wired at: Red-2ohm 1W, Royal Blue-.47ohm .5W, and Green-.47ohm .5W.(I might see if I can lower the green's resistor just a little bit more) Now that my resistors are dialed in pretty close I configured the Nano V4 to 1023, 1023, 1023,(manual suggests) in the color profile. This made the blade still slightly pink. And I mean slightly. A world of difference from what it was originally. So the easiest way to remedy that was going in to the configuration files and dialing in the the right amount of red. The best setting I found for a White blade color was maxing out the Green and Blue to 1023 and setting the Red to 500-575. This range just depends if I want a cooler white or a warmer white. Now the Nano V4 manual gives you some configuration examples for your color profiles. I don't know if I am still doing something wrong but it suggests 1023,1023,1023 for white. I can not figure out how to get that work but at least I figured out how get a White blade for my setup!
    IMG_1053.jpg
    Last edited by ZombieMacabre; 10-28-2017 at 11:14 AM.