Thread: CF8 Power-on Indicator/Accent LED pad is regulated=no resistor?

Default CF8 Power-on Indicator/Accent LED pad is regulated=no resistor?

Greetings. There is a question I haven't been able to find an answer to, clearly at least.

On page 39 of the manual, it says that the Power-On Indicator pad is "a regulated 3.3V pad". That should mean that it doesn't need a resistor right, same as the channel 1/main LED pad.

However, he still shows a resistor being used, so checking to be sure. If a resistor does need to be used, is anyone aware of the current for the pad? I would like to think it is the same as the other accent LED pads (18ma).

Thank you kindly.

It would need a resistor, depending on the voltage of the LED you are attaching to it. If you are attaching a 3.3- ish V LED, then no, you wouldn’t need one. If you are attaching a 2V LED, then yes, you’ll need one. The pad’s current is 18mA.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    It would need a resistor, depending on the voltage of the LED you are attaching to it. If you are attaching a 3.3- ish V LED, then no, you wouldn’t need one. If you are attaching a 2V LED, then yes, you’ll need one. The pad’s current is 18mA.
    Thanks. I'm doing a green momentary switch and a purple momentary switch, both are 3.0 volts. Technically, I would need an 18ohm, 1/8W resistor. Think I could get away without them though?

My local electronics store has 18ohm 1/4 watt resistors. The wattage would be overkill, but shouldn't affect brightness I believe.

I'd use a resistor for each one. They're cheaper than replacing the switches.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I'd use a resistor for each one. They're cheaper than replacing the switches.
    Yep, and less time consuming as well. I'm not going to use JST connectors to try and save space, so I would have to cut wires, resolder, whole lotta ugh.