Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Luxeon with slider fading system.

Default Luxeon with slider fading system.

I am currently experimenting the luxeon blades in conjunction with a "slider" within the blade for extension / retraction effects. I don't think it would make a good duel blade, but I do believe it could make a nice show blade.

here's what I came up so far:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwuVfn21zk

I'm open to all comments/suggestions on the matter.

The main idea would be to have a small magnet in the base and the tip of the blade. I still have to figure out how to properly release the bearing.

I don't think this should be used in duel for 2 reason
    1- the bearing might get loose of the magnet upon impact and "shut down" the blade.

2- if the tip goes off, you have a metal bearing flying trough the air. I think this is uterly dangerous.

otherwise, I think this isn't all that bad.

what do you think??
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's like the laser system! Like you said, neat but hardly practical.

I keep thinking a electro magnet system would be neat, but implementing that would be extremely hard.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

it would work if you found a better sized bearing and put a magnate in the tip. also, the bearing would need to be painted black so that you don't have any "light ball" effect like in your vid
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Maul, I agree a better sized bearing - I even mentionned in the post & video. This is a very early test of the faisability of this thing. However, I wouldn't paint the sphere - it would result on the long run in having flakes of paint in the blade.

Xwing: I know this isn't practical, but it is the point of this type of blade.... show, as opposed to duel. For costumed events or conventions, this can come in handy. I'd like to be able to have a working solution that fits within the blade without altering the saber itself... this way you could interchange between the show blade and duel blade. Therefore, I doubt I'll even look at electromagnets for this setup.

So far I figured that the magnet of a dead earbud should do the trick when it comes to holding the bearing at the tip, I need to find a way to hold the bearing at the base and have a release mecanism.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

maybe a electro-magnet at the tip of the blade that you can switch off. When you switch it off, the sphere would drop back to the hilt. Just a thought. Prob not possible since the electro-magnet would be to large to fit into the tip of a blade???? Rare earth magnets and neodym magnets are pretty strong, I think. Maybe there is a way to reverse polarity.

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by spongerd82
    maybe a electro-magnet at the tip of the blade that you can switch off. When you switch it off, the sphere would drop back to the hilt. Just a thought. Prob not possible since the electro-magnet would be to large to fit into the tip of a blade???? Rare earth magnets and neodym magnets are pretty strong, I think. Maybe there is a way to reverse polarity.
    I'm kinda confused...So to get the sphere back up, you'd use gravity, I assume? No electro-magnet is small enough to get the ball all the way up the blade.

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by elrond.406
    I'm kinda confused...So to get the sphere back up, you'd use gravity, I assume? No electro-magnet is small enough to get the ball all the way up the blade.
    You believe Bodi and Jedihilt when they say the most unsubstantiated things... yet you question real existing technology like electromagnets?

I will never get you all...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ryma Mara

Yeah iam confused as all h e twin hockeysticks.

But yeah this berrign thing is just like the lazer one but I dont see an eletromagnet being that small to fit inside the blade for this to be fexable.

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Quote Originally Posted by elrond.406
    You believe Bodi and Jedihilt when they say the most unsubstantiated things... yet you question real existing technology like electromagnets?

I will never get you all...
    So...this is like the wickedsabers, huh?

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

no, really nimrod
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!