Thread: TankReady's new Illuminated Saber (NBv4 board - MHS parts)

Default TankReady's new Illuminated Saber (NBv4 board - MHS parts)

Hello everyone.
    After owning a stunt saber I got from an Italian sabersmith to use in Ludosport training classes, I decided to look for a new weapon to actually use in tournaments and events as well.
    Loomed facebook groups for a while looking for the perfect saber and after some talking with helpful peeps I decided to go the custom way, and to make my own weapon myself.

So, here's the parts list:
    -82ohm 1/4w resistor
    - MPS Insert style 4
    -MPS Clip
    - 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw
    - Super Lube Synthetic Grease
    -Hilt Style 1 (7" Double female threaded connector)
    -12mm AV switch bezel for MHSV1
    -1.2ohm 3w resistor
    -.5ohm 3w resistor
    - Power Xtender™ 2.0
    -Nano Biscotte Sound Module V4
    -12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Red Ring Switch
    -18650 Single Cell Holder
    -2W 28mm Bass Speaker
    -18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
    -Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module Heat Sink V3 (Long Style) Luxeon Rebel Star (Blue)
    - MPS Pommel style 6
    -MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 17
    -MHS Heat Sink V3
    - Red/Green/Royal Blue Cree XP-E2 CopperNova
    - Star thermal tape pad - Tri LED
    - MHS choke style 3

Not in there is the MHS speaker mount, I wanted to buy it for easier building but wasn't available at the time, and got back in the site the day after my order shipped

I have read several tutorials and watched some on youtube as well.
    Even though much of it is pretty clear, I need to have the pieces in front of me to actually understand everything.
    So for the remaining stuff, I'm stealing my girlfriend father's soldering iron, I found at a thrift shop a nice pair of helping hands with magnifying lens and soldering iron holder, what I now am on the look for is heatshrink (amazon will help) and wires.
    I do not know wires, nor I understand their terminology. Also, being in italy makes it even more difficult especially when trying to translate measures, so I'd like a bit of help here.
    I have been suggested to use 26 or 28 gauge wires. This is fine. But then I go and find solid and stranded wires. Wow. I'm stuck already. Then I realize many of them are defined in mm and since I don't even know how wires works, it's hard for me to understand how much one is different from other (a 26 or 28 gauge for example) and/if which sizes wouldn't be good inside a saber. Tried to look for a guide but beside a chart for sizes, no luck. (I found some 0.25mm wires, from the chart this looks like a 30 gauge wire and I don't know how different this makes them from 28 gauge)
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Can't wait to start working!

Hi TankReady

I normally use 0.14mm2 wires for all my builds.
    You can find them easily online, once I bought some good ones from a scale train modeling web site.

And, by the way, what LS Academy are you from ?

Keep in mind that normally MHS builds with a single 18650 are a little underweight to pass the screening for LS tournaments.
    You will probably need to add some weight to reach 500g.

Ciao Don!

Thanks a lot, this is extremely helpful! I already know where to buy them from now that I know WHICH to get!
    What kind of solder do you use? I didn't realize that too has a size -.-''

I'm training at "Porta dei laghi" the newest acadamy born in northern Italy (between Como and Varese).
    I'm well aware of their strict requirements as I already competed in a couple tournaments, my first saber was in fact fine in terms of weight and length but lacking sound it couldn't be used.
    I checked with the MHS builder the lenght of my new build and I'll check if some weight is needed in order for it to be usable!

Also beware, now that I know an Italian is in here I will probably harass you for help and tips!!!

Actually I can't remember the size of solder I'm using, I bought it many years ago.
    If you really want to know I must check.

And, obviously, no problem at all in helping you if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Se Wion View Post
    Actually I can't remember the size of solder I'm using, I bought it many years ago.
    If you really want to know I must check.

And, obviously, no problem at all in helping you if you need.
    If you can check it would be great So I don't order one too big or too small!

Where are you training?

It's a 60/40 0.7mm cored solder.

I'm in Milan, bring my regards to Paolo and Krauss

It is done!
    Thanks to the help of several people, from facebook groups and in here as well, I received the pieces on tuesday and completed the build in a couple days. I probably fried the switch led while trying to figure out which of the prongs were which, and the wiring isn't very fancy (I had never used a soldering iron before) but everything else works fine, and I'm SO happy
    Thanks everybody!