Thread: Dark Jedi Miklan Welown and Apprentice Gabard Welown‘s Fyra sabers

Default Dark Jedi Miklan Welown and Apprentice Gabard Welown‘s Fyra sabers

So I recently picked up 2 Ultrasabers stunt sabers, the Aeon V4 and the Apprentice V4, for my 6 year old and myself. After getting them and going to the park to “duel” on the wooden playground equipment. My 6 year old asks me, “how can we put sound into these sabers?” I guess he was embarrassed with making lightsaber noises.

Anyway I also picked up 2 Hasbro Blade Builders sabers from Target and split them in half to get the sound boards. I glued them back together and now we just have cheap plastic toy lightsabers.

I then started watching all the YouTube videos I could find on installing soundcards. Rob Petkau’s videos were great, and Odin’s video from Odin Makes was very helpful. After rewatching and rewatching I felt confident enough that I started ordering all my parts.

From TCSS:
    16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Stainless Switch
    MPS Insert style 7
    MPS Clip
    BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire
    JST Extension Green 26 AWG
    1/8" Heatshrink tubing
    MPS Pommel style 6

From Hasbro:
    Blade Builders Saber sound card
    Stock speaker

From US:
    Existing Led module and 4aaa battery pack from the Aeon and Apprentice

From Saberforge:
    Red Day Blade

The build went really well. I have more wire in them than I need and will go in and clean that up later. I ended up using 4 different saber parts suppliers for our sabers. Hence the name fyra saber. Fyra is four in Swedish and I have a lot of Swedish ancestors on my maternal grandmother’s side. Anyway they are complete and here they are:

Parenthood winning! For a 15$ soundboard, not bad. Now you and your son don't have to make your own sound effects! WTG! Winning parenthood, out fighting with sabers at the park. That is awesome.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Awesome!

I noticed the diagram in the back, would you mind posting it? I haven't seen a buckpuck working with a econo bladebuilders board.

If you hook the speaker negative to a tip42c and feed that to your LED, you can get a nice flicker effect in the blade.

You might be able to use a tri-cree with 2 die on the buckpuck and one flickering die on the tip42c/speaker negative.

Once you have these figured out, you can be confident a pro board install will go smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Whosle View Post
    I noticed the diagram in the back, would you mind posting it?
    IMG_7252.jpg

I haven't seen a buckpuck working with a econo bladebuilders board.
    I got the idea from this video:

If you hook the speaker negative to a tip42c and feed that to your LED, you can get a nice flicker effect in the blade.
    Would I be able to jumper the LED- to the Battery- on the board?

You might be able to use a tri-cree with 2 die on the buckpuck and one flickering die on the tip42c/speaker negative. Once you have these figured out, you can be confident a pro board install will go smooth.
    I can't wait to do that. I'm looking at the NB4 for our soundboard upgrades someday.

Wow fast reply!

Would I be able to jumper the LED- to the Battery- on the board?
    Yes, but depending on your V threshold on the transistor (NTE) , sometimes the speaker signal overtakes the control and ends up dimmer. The brightest way is to have it on a seperate transistor, and have it feed the LED after switching takes place. A tricree makes this option better.

Are you using just a single cell 18650 3.7v? If so what is the input voltage of your microbuck?

I might revisit the bladebuilder cards now. I think I have 2 kicking around. They are surprisingly compact.

You might be able to use a power extender (in the TCSS shop) as a replacement for the bulky transistors. That is my next attempt. Also thinking on putting a 5v stepup and 2watt amp. Lots of work for one soundfont ,though.

The Nbv4 is a perfect start for you after these builds. No pads to clean up, larger through holes etc.

Cheers!

Are you using just a single cell 18650 3.7v? If so what is the input voltage of your microbuck?
    I'm using 4 aaa to whatever that equals. Yeah I monitor a machine all day at work and when things are running smoothly I have time to browse forums and reddit.