Thread: Shroud & box mounting

Default Shroud & box mounting

Greetings saber-masters,
    I would like to do a body shroud over part of my saber, and it will be the portion where I'll put the switch & recharge port. I've planned on using box 9, or possibly box 21 drilled & tapped for a 12mm switch and recharge port. Will it work to request that Tim cut the box mounting in the body and I can drill the shroud later? Or is it "wiser" to get it drilled/tapped all at one time? Do I need to tap the shroud?

Thank you in advance

box_and_shroud_concept.jpg

Tap the shroud for what, the switch? I'd advise against that...the box will have threads for that if you order it from Tim that way so all you need is a 12mm hole in the shroud for the switch to pass through. The same for the recharge port. The 4-40 screw that secures box 21 or 9 to the saber will be enough to hold the box in place, along with the shroud. I would drill and tap the hilt and the shroud for the 4-40 threads at once, so do that yourself, but have Tim machine the ribbed section for the mounting holes for that style of box.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks Jay-gon. Forgive me, but yes, I was wondering if I needed to have the shroud tapped at all. I didn't think I did, but I wanted to clarify. However, I probably should have the 4-40 hole drilled & tapped through both shroud & body, correct? You don't think it would work to have just a blank screw hole drilled through the shroud and simply have the screw thread into the body below? Do you think it might allow the shroud to "wiggle" a little to much?

Shrouds are usually pretty snug. I've never had any issue with them wiggling. I only tap the main body parts, and have a pass-through hole in the shroud. Nice and secure.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!