Thread: Trust the NTE LED packaging, or the spec sheet?

Default Trust the NTE LED packaging, or the spec sheet?

So I found this RGB LED for my crystal chamber at a local Micro Center. It is NTE model NTE30115. The spec sheet is here: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/30100to3...f/nte30115.pdf

I’m using a CF8 with the 3.7 hack. Per the spec sheet, the typical values fell in line with the 3.3v, 18ma accent pad. However, on the packaging, it says Vf is 2V/3.5V typical, and current is 25ma Max.

If the values on the packaging are correct, then is it safe to use this LED for the CF8’s accent pad?

Trust the spec sheet. I think you'll be fine. One would only hope. If not, accents are cheap as dirt, you can throw some small resistors on the next ones, but I'm guessing you'll be alright.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

The typical red is 2.2v, the blue and green are 3.2v. The reason the sheet gives a range and typical values is because there are variations.

Of course, then you have the real answer there.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks for the replies. I’ve also emailed NTE just to see what they say. I found another spec sheet with the same values as reported on the back of the packaging. Still thinking like you all, probably okay, but interested to see what NTE says too.

However, IF something were to be damaged, it would just be the light bulb, not the board correct? Erv makes a point not to use an LED that needs more than 3.3 volts, and I am wondering if this is because the light bulb, when it only gets 3.3 volts, will try to draw more current than what the board can provide?

You'll pop the LED long before damaging your board. You can always just use a dynaohm and it'll feed it the appropriate current, but a resistor than is slightly larger than strictly necessary will keep the LED alive and won't really affect brightness enough that it's worth going low and having to replace it.