Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RICE with non-traditional connector

Default RICE with non-traditional connector

I've decided to put RICE on 2 of the Graflex sabers I'm building with Prism. My chassis solution won't permit TCSS solutions. I'm gonna try to use 3 prong micro jst connectors. Female in chassis, and male on USB plug.

Am I just going to have to experiment with the data lines? Swap them to figure it out or what? Looks like the USB cable has Positive, Negative, and 2 data lines. I don't need the positive for the RICE, I just need the negative and 2 data lines. Will hook female in chassis: gnd to battery negative, other 2 poles to data lines.

positive micro JST connected to USB cable (with red wire disregarded). Gnd, and 2 data poles. Is my thinking right here or what? I've never messed with RICE before. It would be simpler to just use the TCSS stuff, but it won't fit in my application, so I'm having to improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

You can try it, it should work, once you get it wired properly.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

There's always this option:

http://www.plecterlabs.com/shop/arti...articles_id=79

Not gonna lie,...this grabbed my interest

The rice cable isn't just a USB cable, it's a serial interface. As for the wiring, all that matters is that you are connecting the proper pads to the proper connection on your adapter of choice.

If you want an agnostic learning source on the topic, here's a fairly comprehensive article: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...-communication

Thanks all, if I get one of the Prizms wired up tomorrow, I may try a direct connect with the saber to see which wire is which on the USB, to see what I need to do to connect once my micro jst's come in. I appreciate it.

Tom

I remember watching a Madcow video with a similar challenge - wanted RICE but no room for the port. It might have been his Jaina saber, but I'm not sure. His solution was to put the mini connector between the soundcard and the standard TCSS RICE port, and use the standard cable. No debugging of USB lines required.

There's a thought too. I am going to try to make my own USB Line today to see if I can get RICE to recognize the saber. I need to finish wiring the board first. I have leaders of different colors already soldered to the board at the RICE interface PCBs. I'll attach those leaders direct to USB until I get RICE to recognize the board, then I'll have a direct solution. I enjoy this type of challenge. Figuring out serial communication lines seems to be another skill to put on the bus. Thoroughly enjoying the challenge, and thank you all for the ideas and suggestions, its helping me to think how to solve this in the future. I sometimes get so focused on my own line, that I suffer from a lack of objectivity that you guys bring to the table. I definitely appreciate it.

anybody got a cool accent string program in text you want to share here so I can copy and paste? My saber is working, battery charging, then going out to eat. Will come home and finish tests and configs. Its pretty awesome. Just got to get the accent LED's running.

Its running. TFA Graflex RGB Prism 5.1 crystal chamber matching blade and 4 accent LED's. Most difficult cantankerous saber ever....it was just one thing after another. still haven't got R.I.C.E. working yet, but its wired up. My computer keeps not recognizing anything. When I plug it in, I get a message saying the device isn't working properly. It never pops up in RICE, nor do I get any options to search for ports. I have downloaded the drivers. Anything else?

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

Have you tried another USB port? The USB port maybe bad. I maybe very wrong about the port being bad but it could happen.

I don't recall what the driver I'm using for my non-premade rice cable is.
    Last edited by MasterStoddard; 10-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member