Thread: Parts List and Other Questions for 3D Printed Lightsaber

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Parts List and Other Questions for 3D Printed Lightsaber

I have currently been working on designing from scratch a 3D Printed Lightsaber that I am now in the final stages of touch-ups and am now creating my final list of items to purchase for lights and sounds. I just thought it would be a good idea to run my current shopping list, circuit diagram and resistor math past the eyes of others who might be able to catch anything that slipped through my vision.

Parts List

Circuitry:
    Nano Biscotte v4
    Power Xtender™ 2.0

Power:
    Panasonic 18650 Lithium Ion Battery, 3.7V, 10 A, 3200 mAh
    2.1mm Power jack
    Kill Plug

Lighting:
    Red-Green-Royal Blue Tri-Cree XP-E2
    Thermal Tape Pad
    18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
    MHS Heat Sink V3
    36" TCSS Battle Blade

Sound:
    28mm Bass Speaker

Accessories:
    D-Ring Belt Mount

(ADDED NOTE: I'm still looking for a momentary button that is able to fit within a small space, aka I haven't started looking yet, but it's on my list)

Questions:
    1. Is there a Lens Holder that I'm supposed to have for the 18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens or is it built into the holes on the Tri-Cree?
    2. I have heard debate as to whether the bass speaker or the premium speaker is better, which decent arguments for both? Is it worth buying both and changing it based off which I like better or just go with one? It's not a huge investment to get both, but if the difference isn't much, it's not worth it.

Circuitry

Below is a circuitry design that I drew based off of the Nano Biscotte v4 Manuel. I want to run this by people to ensure that I don't light myself on fire.

Questions
    1. What is the purpose/how am I supposed to use the Power Xtender? I think it's to be used for when the voltage of the LED is above that usable by the Nano Biscotte, but clarification would be appreciated.
    2. Nano Biscotte manual states 4A per LED channel. Does that mean I need a Lithium Ion Battery with at least 12 A to run a tri-LED or does that mean it can send up to 4A per LED?

Resistor Math

(LED Properties)

Battery Voltage: 3.7 V

Red Cree Forward Voltage @1000mA = 2.65v
    Resistance = (3.7 V - 2.65 V)/1000mA = 1.05 Ω
    Power = (1000 mA)^2 * 1.05 Ω = 1.05 W

Green Cree Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.7
    Resistance = (3.7 V - 3.7 V)/1000mA = 0 Ω
    Power = (1000 mA)^2 * 0 Ω = 0 W

Royal Blue Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.4v
    Resistance = (3.7 V - 3.4 V)/1000mA = 0.3 Ω
    Power = (1000 mA)^2 * 0 Ω = 0.3 W

Questions
    1. Should I forgo getting a resistor for the Green and Royal Blue and use the Drive and fDrive features instead?

Bonus
    Those who were kind enough to read this far down through my help post gets to see some more cool photos of my print and my 3D CAD. I'm willing to answer any questions you have about my work, because I'm all giddy about this project.

Last edited by TheUnrealArchon; 10-04-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: More Photos :D