Thread: Quick questions about my dream saber / Sanity check

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Quick questions about my dream saber / Sanity check

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum. I need a sanity check on my idea and I need help with a possible issue.

Basic design considerations:

I'm trying to build a saber evocative of a katana. Not something like Ahsoka because I need it to actually hit with full force and it's a bit too curved for the type of saber we use at our school.

So, I went with the regular cylinder option and messed around a bit with the builder until I got something symmetric, that looked wrapped, with the same size as the hilt I'm used to... and this is what I came to:

It's mostly extensions, and two of them aren't even in the builder (fudged them up a bit with other parts and layered them for the look, I'll have to order those 0.8 extensions), and I know that I'll have a smaller ID to work with.

The switch will be inside one of the holes in the middle extension, A.K.A. crystal chamber so I won't bother messing around with holes elsewhere.

With all of this in mind...

Is it feasible to have a battery in the lower section and a soundboard (Pico Crumble or Nano Biscotte) in the upper section?

The way I intend to set this up is having the crystal chamber/switch section be the holder for everything. Unscrew the top and bottom parts and a purpose made assembly holds the battery and soundboard on opposite ends. Nothing electronic even touches the rest of the hilt, recharging is done by unscrewing the bottom part.

Foreseen issues:

The only real issue I foresee is about the speaker. Will there be enough room between the extension and pommel to hold a speaker and if not how can I fix this without adding more length to the saber (it's perfect in that regard)?

I'm ready to have to use a quick connect or a long cable to have the speaker in the bottom and an accessible battery, I'd rather not but I prefer to have a comfortable hilt with the correct measurements (although the shape and profile are off but it's a concession I'm willing to make for a lightsaber).

TIA and MTFBWY!
    Last edited by Luís; 10-03-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Adding a picture.
    “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda