Thread: Tri-Rebel (Single Color) Wiring Check

Default Tri-Rebel (Single Color) Wiring Check

Hey guys,

I'd like to run a Tri-Rebel (Red-Orange on all three) on 7.4v with a 1000mA buckpuck for a stunt saber and wanted to make sure I got everything right. Please correct me if I've missed something:

* I've been reading as much as I can on serial vs. parallel, and parallel seems to be the only thing that will work given the combined voltage required for serial for three LED's.
    * I've heard other recommendations that max brightness might be better achieved by wiring a resistor to each individual die instead of using a buckpuck. Thoughts?
    * The page from LEDSupply.com says max drive current is 1000mA, but under the "Absolute Max Ratings" DC Forward Current (mA) it says 700 for my LED's (Red-Orange). Am I confusing something?

Please see attached. Thanks!

TRI REBEL WIRING CHECK copy.jpg

Blog Entries

I’m not seeing how all the negatives and th positives connect up.

Your wiring is not right in your picture. Your picture shows a weird hybrid between series and parallel. Specifically, you have two dies connected in parallel to the first die which is then connected to the buckpuck. For Luxeon Rebels you'll want to run them at 700mA instead of 1000mA per TCSS's Rebel page. If you wanted to run the LEDs at 1000mA, then you should get the custom tri-Cree LED. If you want to keep the Luxeon tri-rebel, use this Buckpuck.

According to the documentation for the buckpuck (PDF from Luxeon), the three high power LEDs can be wired in series as long as you provide the buckpuck at least 12v. To wire in series, you'll want to connect the negative of one LED to the positive of the next until you've connected all three in a line. This is only really viable if all three LEDs are the same color.

If you are using a buckpuck, you will not need resistors. The buckpuck regulates the current better but takes up significantly more space.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Thanks much, I'll rework my schematic accordingly. I'm not sure how to delete threads, but if that's a mod-only option please feel free to zap this one. Thanks!