Thread: Actually introduce myself

Default Actually introduce myself

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking and commenting for a while, but never really introduced myself.

My name is Jason, and I live on Vancouver Island , British Columbia. My occupation is "Forest Engineer", but I am currently recovering from a back injury/surgery. I am not exactly sure what has drawn me to making lightsabers, I assume it has something to do with boredom and painkillers. Videogames now bore me, as I prefer to waste my time on something I can make and hold.

My pre-injury hobbies included: Gardening, woodworking (Bow-making), Archery, fishing ,skateboarding and snowboarding, rock-hounding/lapidary, Beer making and all sorts of artistic endeavours. Most of these hobbies are not great on the back. My father is an electrical engineer, and always had a bunch of doo-dads and stuff on his work bench. I remember playing with the soldering iron when he wasn't looking.

There are so many inspirational builders on this site, it makes me strive for excellence. I never seem to be 100% happy with any of my builds, so I constantly make and upgrade new ones.

Eventually, I hope to learn a bunch of new skills, I hope to use this hobby as a fun platform to eventually create technologies related to my occupation. For whatever reason, I am more determined and driven to learn new skills when making something fun, as opposed to utilitarian.

This is a gateway hobby. "You have taken your first step into a much larger world".

How many people can honestly say, "I would never want to own a lightsaber"?

Yes, a real lightsaber would make my real job much easier!

Cheers
    -Whosle?
    Last edited by Whosle; 09-26-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Hello Jason. I found my way to this place a few years back after googling everything Star Wars. Like you say, who doesn't want a lightsaber? At last, I could fulfil my childhood dream of owning the coolest weapon but boy are they more-ish .
    I'm an electrician but I hadn't really touched electronics since my apprenticeship so I've kinda re-learnt skills. What I really enjoy is the building/engineering and the metalwork and thanks to some unexpected generosity from my dad I have a lathe. I'm learning as I go and I'm never really 100% happy I just try to make the next one better.
    Hope your recovery goes well and look forward to more sabers
    MTFBWY

Paul (Greenie)

110 posts in before an intro thread, wow.

I found this site after my son bought an US saber at a local convention. I'm only 1 saber in, but that's a time/budget problem.

Forest engineer sounds very interesting. As an outdoorsman and Scout leader, I've often thought that something like a park ranger might be a good second career after retirement.

Welcome to the forums.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

A belated welcome sir.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

A belated welcome
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Thanks everyone!

Yeah 110 posts in, most of them part of the learning curve.

I have learned a bunch about electronics and circuits since I joined. This hobby takes a bunch of different skills and pushed them to the extreme.

Usually, I am thinking on large scales , boardfeet , cubic meters, cuts and fills, large volumes. Usually in metric, but I have forced myself, to go between imperial and metric now.

Now I am thinking on millimeter scales (1/32").

Do you imperial minded folks find fractions and decimals too cumbersome?

I feel like Cram-fu, space management and design will be a marketable skill in the upcoming robotics industry.

Welcome to TCSS Jason! I make beer too! Ha. I'm a stout guy. I despise the Imperial system of measurement we use in the USA; however, my grandfather was a carpenter and taught me a bunch of tricks to go between the fractions. While the metric system is much easier to understand and simplistic (not to mention more scientifically repeatable manner of measurement), I find that the Imperial system forces one to think, and to contemplate more. All those fractions are exercise for the brain. It helps keep my aging mind sharper. I never noticed how much I had aged lately until I started building lightsabers. My vision has gone Kaput. I find myself with my glasses on routing wires, then when it comes time to solder, glasses off (safety glasses on). I can see small closer with no glasses on, and my glasses make the PCBs blurry. When I put a accent LED on the NBIV deep sleep pad the other day, it was a huge victory for mine own eyes! This is a great fun, mind using, hobby. I wish my resources were unlimited, and that I had a lathe. The things I could make if I only had a lathe! I am very proud of my growing saber collection. I have lately grown fond of building the OT replicas, mainly due to my involvement in the 501st Legion; however, my favorite saber is my Mako MHS RGB. I love that saber. I designed it in MHS builder, drew it out on paper, designed the chassis from TCSS disks, and have gutted it and re-built it 3 times now. I'm moderately content with its current iteration, although I wish it had deep sleep on it. I hope your back heals soon, it stinks getting old. I'm a 24 year veteran of a municipal police force, I'm a Lieutenant (Watch Commander) on night shift. I have 6 years left on a 30 year sentence, and it cannot pass quickly enough. By trade I'm a boat mechanic, but also have apprenticed as an electrician/carpenter through my grandfather and father. I have many skill-sets. I would love to do more metal work: machining, milling, lathing, welding, etc. When I retire, I plan to try and dive deeply into learning those skills via the local community college vocational route. We have a lot of great classes here. I have a BS in psychology, but want to go back into vocational classes as I approach 50! Have fun building, and healing.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."