Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Second Saber Build

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    It's tough to see in the pics, but I painted the gray parts first with a lighter, warm gray (duplicolor Pewter from pepboys), then a darker neutral gray (charcoal metallic) over. With some light sanding, the lighter warm color underneath peaks out, giving it a warn, sun bleached look (at least to my eyes).

It was all pretty serendipitous as the light color was too light for my taste, and the dark was too dark, so I was going to sand it off and start over but then saw the effect was better than I had in mind, so I refined it and kept it.
    I love it when happy "accidents" like that happen. What color(s) did you use for the coppery/gold band around the blade holder and the D-ring holder?

really nice..... love the colors

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Jedi View Post
    I love it when happy "accidents" like that happen. What color(s) did you use for the coppery/gold band around the blade holder and the D-ring holder?
    Duplicolor Copper Plate Coating.
    The trick is (which I learned after my first one) is to do a lot lighter coats than you think. 2, maybe three very light coats is all it takes. it is great because it is translucent, so it keeps some of the metal grain beneath it (again, if you have light coats). For the D-ring, I sprayed bright aluminum paint as the undercoat, but it is still pretty convincing.

Blog Entries

Nicely done!
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Liking what you have so far
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

well, for hand cut brass washers as fins on the cc, that is some great looking work there. This saber, and the layers are awesome. I love the dimension that you have given this! Awesome work! I wish I was so creative.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Here are the pics of the chassis.
    I was trying for a bit of a Y-wing engine-esque look.

Main tube is 3/4" gray PVC, Outer tube is 1" plastic drain pipe. Rest is found parts from laptops or old plastic model kits and odds 'n ends.

Man, very nice detail work. I likey! Great job!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Wow super detailed, well done.
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight