Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Second Saber Build

Default Second Saber Build

The exterior of my second build is mostly done. Not sure if the weathering is too much or not -- I might tone it down before I clear it with a satin finish, but it is pretty close.

Everything is from the shop, with two custom pieces. Tim did an amazing job on the bezel towards the pomel (will be LED lights) and a custom internal spacer to give another layer (it spaces out a female 3" and a double male).
    Everything else is done by hand (so please pardon the lack of precision). Don't even have a drill press yet.
    The CC fins are brass washers.
    The switch button and most of the outside was made from shroud material.
    The D-ring holder (I left the D-ring out for now as it is too big, but I wanted to have it there to use when I needed it to) has a cover I made from some ABS plastic pieces so it looks purposeful.

The chassis is undergoing finishing, but I will have that soon (time permitting).

I need to wait on the electronics a bit, but that is probably a good thing as the neopixel stuff the store is working on looks like it will be awesome.

Weathering looks good. Very nice work Rampant. Awesome saber.

Last edited by Greenie; 09-12-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Looking great so far!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Wow! This looks great, Rampant. Is the general darker color of the hilt due to your weathering or did you have the pieces powder coated? Looks similar to the black chrome.
    Last edited by Just A Jedi; 09-13-2017 at 07:30 AM.

It's tough to see in the pics, but I painted the gray parts first with a lighter, warm gray (duplicolor Pewter from pepboys), then a darker neutral gray (charcoal metallic) over. With some light sanding, the lighter warm color underneath peaks out, giving it a warn, sun bleached look (at least to my eyes).

It was all pretty serendipitous as the light color was too light for my taste, and the dark was too dark, so I was going to sand it off and start over but then saw the effect was better than I had in mind, so I refined it and kept it.

Blog Entries

That's some very precise metalwork. You have a real talent!

Nice. Did Tim do the custom piece above the body? :P
    Light or dark. the path doesn't matter. What matters is how you act once you have chosen a path

DV6 Saber Hilt

Quote Originally Posted by ZrenTobas87 View Post
    Nice. Did Tim do the custom piece above the body? :P
    Yes, Tim did an amazing job with the LED bezel.

2017-09-13 20_26_35-IMG 20170911 170416 — imgbb.com.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    That's some very precise metalwork. You have a real talent!
    Thanks for the kind words. It's amazing what a Dremel some files and patience can do. If I can do it, anyone can