Thread: 6A NeoPixel Color Calculator

Default 5A NeoPixel Color Calculator

I've heard a single color on a 2-strip NeoPixel blade can easily eat up 5-6A of current, and a full-blast white can trip the protection circuit on some cells.

I whipped up a quick calculator that (in theory) should give Plecter RGB values for mixed-colors that won't eat up any more power than a full-blast single color.

Still putting my first blade together, but I figured I'd share this now to get some feedback:

http://kourikustoms.com/tools/NeoPix...rSelector.html
    Last edited by Kouri; 09-20-2017 at 02:43 AM.

This is great , thanks Kouri. With a dual strip and 3500mah high drain I get around 30-40min run time, not great but totslly worth it. I'll give this a try tonight, using less current is always a good thing.

Yeah, my first thought was that with a white FoC, (1023,1023,1023) might trip some protection circuits, and really, the effect is more about having contrast rather than an increase in brightness. I figured dividing each value by 3 would sort that out, and (341, 341, 341) was a really intuitive result (though maybe needing tweaking for a clean white).

But other color combos wouldn't be nearly as intuitive, and if I had to do the math anyway, I figured I might as well mark down the formulas into a calculator.

So far white FoC has not tripped the circuit when the battery is decently juiced. That's with the TCSS high drain. When the battery is getting low I have gotten some restarts and the speaker gets fuzzy. Ill give your calc a go later.

excellent.......and just in time!

Default 5A NeoPixel Color Calculator

Video demo:

Lime-Green and all FoC colors were made with the calculator. Red and Blue are default 1023. Each FoC is an off-white color meant to provide the most contrast to the main blade. Lime-Green vs Purple-White. Red vs Cool-White. Blue vs Warm-White.

Sarge Green: [241, 779, 0]
    Sarge FoC: [340, 308, 374]

Vader Red: [1023, 0, 0]
    Vader FoC: [260, 381, 381]

Luke Blue: [0, 0, 1023]
    Luke FoC: [348, 389, 285]

Looks great, neopixels are the future.