Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Choosing a Sound Board

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

The Crystal Focus is the top of the line of the Plecter Labs sound cards.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

Doesn't the Pico have 15 colors now? That was a big reason I am planning to use it.

I want all of the bells and whistles without worrying about hooking it up to make adjustments.

From erv's introduction post at FX-Sabers:
    Please Welcome the PICO CRUMBLE(tm) V2

It was time for an update, this has been in dev for some months as we phased in the new motion sensing / motion fusion to the other boards, it appeared logical to do the same to the pico crumble to bring the Crystal Focus grade motion sensing and robustness even to this entry-level sound board. And for the same price !

In addition, it gets 4 swing and 4 clash sounds to improve the sound diversity, and gets 15 color profiles.

Boards already got manufactured and will hit the retailers this week. The manual will follow but it's really similar to the existing pico v1 for the wiring and should be configuration-less. The Pico V2.1 RICE app is ready for PC and Mac and I'll put a link on the website asap.

[img width=300 height=228]https://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/PicoCrumble/PicoCrumbleV2-web-thumb.jpg[/img]

SPECS
    - [NEW] Sound fonts updated with more fx sounds (4+4) played randomly with avoided repeats (aka our "RandomX" system)
    - [NEW] 15 color profiles (see further for details)
    - [NEW] Improved Service menu to select the color profile with PureHue(tm)
    - [NEW] Dual motion sensor and motion fusion (same motion detection grade as Crystal Focus, Nano Biscotte, Prizm) and same super low motion to sound latency (6ms)
    - [NEW] Omnisaber-Ready (but this actually got implemented in version 1.06).

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paedryn View Post
    I want all of the bells and whistles without worrying about hooking it up to make adjustments.
    The Pico Crumble doesn’t have many bells and it only has one whistle.

It was designed to play only one, pre loaded font, with quite a few less variation in sounds. For example, the Pico only uses 2 variations of Swing and Clash sounds, opposed to the 16 variations of Swing and Clash sounds on a Nano Biscotte (which is the “entry level” Plecter Lab Board). I’d consider variability and more “organic” sound mixing a perk.
    (In my opinion) The ONLY thing a Pico has going for it, is a setup to use a RGB led, and switch between preset color settings through a Service Menu (which in turn requires a special sequence to access). It is for “fixed” color changes, NOT “color changing” or ”color swapping” on the fly like the other more advanced boards. It was really designed for “production sabers” so the builder could simplify the production process and still simply make sabers in the colors needed at the time of sale.

IF for whatever reason, you may WANT to adjust the your soundboard, the Pico CAN be adjusted, but (once again, in my opinion), trough a more difficult process. All the other Plecter Lab Boards have an micro SD card that can be popped out, plugged into a pc and adjusted (at minimum). Higher end boards can even have a RICE connection installed that allows adjustments made from a pc to a saber without removing the card. I’d consider the ease of adjusting the board an advantage.

In the end, it is about what you WANT the board to do, and what you can LIVE WITH it being able to do.
    Personally, for the minimal bit more work in assembly, and marginal additional cost ($10), I’d go with at LEAST a NB in my personal use sabers, just so I’m NOT locked in to a setup (especially sound font) without having to rewire a new board.

The Pico 2.0 has 4 swing and 4 clash effects, and also has RICE capabilities. The settings are much more limited, but theyre there, and you can add a RICE port to your saber for it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The Pico 2.0 has 4 swing and 4 clash effects, and also has RICE capabilities. The settings are much more limited, but theyre there, and you can add a RICE port to your saber for it.
    Sorry, I was looking at the manual that was linked on the product page in the store (which is still linked to the 1.0 Pico version).
    Yes, 2.x now has 4 Swing and Clash. My bad.

And yes, it also has “RICE edge”, which is functionally the same as RICE in the other Plecter Boards (but has the ability to have that connection be temporary without soldering a port in place).
    What I should have said, was that RICE (permanent or a temporary connection to a PC) is the ONLY way to make changes (which are only for settings, NOT sound font).

Thanks for pointing that out.