Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED STRIP acquisition options

Default LED STRIP acquisition options

So in the NB4 manual it says "We use strips of 144 pixels per meter with white PCBs to enhance the light reflection. They can easily be found online for around 13€ / $15 per meter"
    Anyone see these for $15 per meter somewhere? On the adafruit site they look like they are about $60 per meter (144) which i believe if I'm understanding - i would need 2- so thats $120 per blade. Are these what people are using...... that would make for pretty pricy blades.......

I used the Adafruit skinnies for my build and they work well. But yes, they are expensive. The best cheap option I've found is the Alitove 144/m on Amazon for $22. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm planning on it soon. The reviews seems pretty good.

I'm just about to embark on building a blade using the cheapest 144 led/m strips I could find on eBay. They were only ~$20 CAD/strip (standard 10mm with waterproof rubber tube)

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm pretty pumped.

I purchased some online, from alitove and another.

The alitove one had some bunged up neopixels that I had to fix.

I have others I haven't tested yet. You can also get them on wish.com.

Thanks, I'll check out these other things..... after I posted I found some on amazon for about 18 dollars..... anyone get them off there? Prime does have its advantages!

Update: I've built my strip, soldered my connectors and it works great! Next I've got to get the blade diffused enough so I'm happy with the look. It's been a challenge thus far with a thin trans-white 7/8 blade but I'll post some of my tests later today.

Quote Originally Posted by SA22C View Post
    Update: I've built my strip, soldered my connectors and it works great! Next I've got to get the blade diffused enough so I'm happy with the look. It's been a challenge thus far with a thin trans-white 7/8 blade but I'll post some of my tests later today.
    Which strips did you wind up getting? Diffusion is a pain, it's probably easier with a 1in and much easier with a closed cell tube. I trailed the 1/16 packing foam method and it diffused well but I couldn't get rid of the foam seam.

I am also having difficulty diffusing my blades. I might have to sand the outside.

I am using the 1/16 foam, which was difficult to find in Canada , and I suspect is open celled. I also used a layer of toilet paper, and a small width of Low-Density Polethylene sheeting (LDPE) 1/32" thick. I sanded it and it is against the inside of the tube.

It is tough to make it look perfect. I hear the tophat PL9823's are easier to diffuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatsweats View Post
    Which strips did you wind up getting? Diffusion is a pain, it's probably easier with a 1in and much easier with a closed cell tube. I trailed the 1/16 packing foam method and it diffused well but I couldn't get rid of the foam seam.
    The seam is problematic, for sure. I bought these strips: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WS2812B-5050-...72.m2749.l2649

I bought the waterproof, which was a mistake since they came in silicone tubes, rather than being silicon-coated. However, both strips fit into one tube back-to-back, so that's a plus. Whosle, where did you source the LDPE sheet?

Cool, keep us updated on how those look. The adafruits are just so expensive. Did you cut off the silicone? Having that stuff probably adds to shadowing I would think. I just cut mine off.