Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Internal Chassis building

There's a pretty lengthy thread on chassis, here. My own MHS disk and rod based one is here.

I'm especially excited to see what Madcow comes up with for his swappable Neopixel and tri-cree setups.

Yeah the stuff you can do with a lathe is pretty awesome... tough part is that most people have a drill/drill press and dremmel if we're lucky. Hell even if I had a lathe, I'm pretty sure I could not do what you guys do..... so not only is it tools, it's also knowing how to best exploit the tools. But regardless.... finding sources and techniques for things that help with internal builds, and cram-fu would be of great interest for many people here.

Nice chassis, please feel free to post those photos here! I like a lot of what you did there!

You can see what I did in my Pathfinder build http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...r-Scratchbuild
    I'm probably going to build a second chassis for it soon, or possibly redo it entirely, I haven't decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    You can see what I did in my Pathfinder build http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...r-Scratchbuild
    I'm probably going to build a second chassis for it soon, or possibly redo it entirely, I haven't decided yet.
    That is a really nice build! If i can ask how did you secure the card and the battery in the chassis? is it just tension between the object and the chassis itself?

JBkuma- love that internal chassis..... now thats what I'm talking-bout!

Avidgrant, yes. My last saber has a LED soldered to the recharge port. Pull the kill key it lights up. I have to credit Thalan the exiled for the speaker tip and it gives a nice little flicker with the hum. For your main LED, one positive linked across pads with resistors on the returning negatives. Saves a little bit of space. As for swapping out LED modules, I think I saw a post by jbkuma somewhere (possibly fx) showing how to make a module that plugs into the same kind of multi connector used for neopixel/string blades. I guess that's for replica installs but the principal could work for MHS. Maybe he could enlighten us .

Quote Originally Posted by Arngrim View Post
    That is a really nice build! If i can ask how did you secure the card and the battery in the chassis? is it just tension between the object and the chassis itself?
    Yes. This was really my first crack at 3D design. If I do make a new secondary chassis for it I will likely make it a clip design.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Yes. This was really my first crack at 3D design. If I do make a new secondary chassis for it I will likely make it a clip design.
    Did you print it yourself or did you have someone print it for you? I've been interested in 3d printing for awhile so curious to see what people are using and how they like it.

I am still a novice, but I am trying my hand at an internal chassis and found that 3/4" gray PVC pipe is great size. It is pretty easy to pressure fit a battery and still have room for wires to pass through (I have channels made, just not shown). It also can be filed down to slide inside a speaker holder pretty easily. Plus, it gives you lots of room for layering effects and still fit inside a hilt.

But, most importantly for me, it is easy to manipulate (I only have a dremel and a hand drill) and you don't have to worry about shorts.

I know I have a LOT of clean up and finishing to do, but here are some in-progress pics showing how the main parts fit together.
    (the white parts are a combination of a 1" plastic sink tube I found and plastic sheets/etc. from my old plastic modeling days.