Thread: Chassis disk help

Default Chassis disk help

I'm having a terrible time getting everything to fit inside my hilt. I changed the battery to the 14500 battery (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P698.aspx) as I didn't have room for the larger 7.4v. I've been sanding and trying to get the discs (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...k-S5-P774.aspx) to fit the CF and the board and I can get the CF in but even with sanding the battery is having issues getting into the disc and it's ripping away the wrapping of the battery and just the overall disks breaking. I've gone through 4 discs just snapping since they are already pretty thin on 2 spots. I'm at a lose at what to do at this point I can't see a way to get the chassis completed.

there is a review of that chassis disk saying it was a little "breakable". Ive broken a chassis disk myself..... but i admit- i had to work at it- and it was not one of these. Most of mine have fit (snugly) where they were designed to go. Is there something you are missing? What hilt part are you trying to put this in?

I don't think there is anything i'm missing. I have an 18650 battery that I was going to use in Hilt style 2 but it's too long and the battery ends up at the base of the switch hole so I can't put the av switch in with the battery sitting there. So I tried going over to the 14500 but I the hole for the battery is a few mm to small and after I sand it down I keep breaking the disc due to the fact it is only a mm ish thick at the wall at that point. I have the disks for the 18650 and didn't snap any of those. So I have a battery that's currently too big and the battery that will fit breaks the chassis disc each time I try to put it in

**EDIT** The thing is the wrapping over the battery at both ends juts out ever so slightly to cause issues inserting the battery into the disk, once it's in it moves a lot easier, but in the process of test fitting i've ripped some of the wrapping off leaving the underneath bare which i'm not sure if i should be concerned about or not.
    Last edited by Arngrim; 08-21-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Got some pics? Hilt style 2 is a 7 inch piece..... what else you got in there? I recently built something with either hilt style 2 or 3 (just slightly different variations on the groves) with a plane blade holder and base speaker- NB3 (so slightly smaller sound card) and a 3.7-18650- and pommel style 4. there was an illuminated switch on the hilt- and a recharge port in the pommel. I had some room left over. (not exactly sure how much). Pics might help illuminate where there issues are.

No pics, but i'll take some and post if I can. The issue I'm running into is I'm using the CF board that takes a 7.4V battery pack and the 18650 one I have is 5.25" long and the center of the switch hole is 5.5" from the base. With the speaker in the battery doesn't fit. I was going to try and find a smaller 18650 battery but then I saw the 14500 and was like THAT'S PERFECT! I really liked that with the speaker,recharge port and battery the whole chassis would only go in less than 4" which would solve all my problems. I've been doing a lot of sanding of the discs I have left (bought 10 cause I knew i'd break at least one) and it's slow going but I have been trying to find another way to build a chassis but can't find anything other than pictures. There are some people who built things using PVC pipe I even saw Madcow's sabers that look like he has a pvc sled but I have no idea how they make the clip for the board with it....I'm thinking they may heat and bend it? but can't find the answer to that question anywere. But i'm getting off track lol, unfortunatly thee 7.4V i have (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pa...ack-P1171.aspx) just eats up space.

Also I accidentally broke my speaker and recharge port because I was stupid and worked frustrated so need to get a replacement for those in the mean time.

**EDIT***
    I measured the wall of the disk where the battery fits in and it's only 0.034" thick at that point
    Last edited by Arngrim; 08-21-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arngrim View Post
    I was going to try and find a smaller 18650 battery
    18650 is the physical size. 18 mm in diameter and 65 mm long.

It sounds like your side by side 14500 pack has a bad covering. Did you buy it from TCSS?

I have found that the chassis disks are finicky and fitting parts in is sometimes one way. I don't have any of the ones you have, but looking at the pictures, I would guess that you need to feed the battery in from the side that doesn't have the wires, and have the wires facing the cut-out for the soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    18650 is the physical size. 18 mm in diameter and 65 mm long.

It sounds like your side by side 14500 pack has a bad covering. Did you buy it from TCSS?
    -Oh I didn't know about the numbers representing size that would make sense.

-Yes I did buy the pack from TCSS, I have been trying to put it in from the side without the wires with no luck. The space issue I'm having is on the width from what I can tell. Specifically the ridge of the pack bulges ever so slightly as I was able to get 1 disc on the pack and it moves easier once the bulge is past. the height is ok, as I have more room to sand down than the outer ridge. I was thinking it appears to have 3 layers from what I can tell, the black labeled wrap, a blue wrap, and a metallic wrap. Would it be safe to try and remove the first layer wrap and just use electrical tape over any exposures after it's inserted?

- On another note i'm confused how you would get the 7.4V 18650 battery into the hilt with any of the ones from the store. they all seem like with a 5.25" battery you'd always be bumping up against the base of the switch.
    Last edited by Arngrim; 08-22-2017 at 11:07 AM.