Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Traveling with a lightsaber?

got to be honest - glad this topic was revised..... I'm traveling as well- with 4 sabers (Disney halloween cruise in a month)- and am planning on jedi costumes for the halloween party- thus requiring lightsabers...... so.......

This is from that TSA page
    Flashlights
    Flashlights longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on bags; these items must be packed in your checked bags.
    They might use this to require you to check the bag. It probably won't happen but be prepared.

I have traveled / flown with my sabers a few times. I recommend putting them in checked baggage for convenience and safety. It is just easier than having one more thing to worry about when boarding and figuring out where to put it -- especially if traveling with children. I recommend purchasing a padded rifle case and keeping the saber-blades IN the sabers. This way, it is easy to demonstrate what they are and what they do and why you would want to travel with them. I leave the kill-keys in place so they don't accidentally activate during boarding. When checking in, they may ask to see the contents, but will sometimes avoid it, even if you tell them it is not a weapon. And I DO print a paper to go in the case explaining what they are and how to operate them for any inspectors.

I find that I get NO harassment this way, and it is actually treated with WAY more respect than any of the other luggage. The case is a respectful way of saying, "Treat me with caution, I am potentially dangerous." I have never had a problem with this method and recommend it for anything long and that you want to protect -- I have used it for swords, bokken, and knife collections. They will x-ray and see, but I always tell them ahead of time what the contents are before they ask. But they don't pass that information along, so the general workers just treat it with a lot of respect. BTW, I have TSA approved locks I use and open them for the agents when I check my bags, but they are locked the entire trip, to my knowledge. DO be aware you will need to ASK for the rifle case / saber(s) at the end of your trip --they won't put them out on the luggage carousel / conveyors.

Quote Originally Posted by jshannonhill View Post
    DO be aware you will need to ASK for the rifle case / saber(s) at the end of your trip --they won't put them out on the luggage carousel / conveyors.
    Jey @jshannonhill ! Have you asked if that's because of the LENGTH of the rifle case, or BECAUSE it's a rifle case?

well..... Finally flying with these guys this weekend..... fingers crossed.Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 12.08.54 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 5.32.06 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Avidgrant; 09-29-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Well- security was np. Guy at x ray said--- lightsabers? I replied yep... he commented - cool and gave me the thumbs up. So.....at least at PIT- traveling with them is cool.