Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a lightsaber?

Default Traveling with a lightsaber?

So, I'm sure that some of you attend conventions, and no doubt, some of you fly to those conventions. I'm curious how you bring your lightsabers along. Do you pack them in checked luggage? Does that make you worry about lithium battery issues? Do you carry them on the plane with you? Has anyone ever mistaken one for a pipe bomb? What issues have you had with the TSA?

The BEST way I have found is to carry it on with you, in it's own "case" and print a piece of paper (to be easily viewable upon opening of said case) that says "Star Wars Prop Lightsaber". Many TSA have seen enough of these over time to recognize them. Make sure you have a blade plug in it, because they may ask you to turn it on.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

And make sure you have charged batteries, so it can be turned on.

Is there a flight ban on Lithium batteries? Or only certain products (hoverboard)?

I was wondering for Christmas gifts. I like the Idea of putting a printed piece of paper in it, like Forgettful Jedi mentioned.

If it is a canon saber, maybe include a screenshot! And instructions on how to turn on (kill key removal).

The shape of the saber would be pretty alarming to Canadian TSA agents the xray tech will definately ask for a superior. Maybe point out the case and tell them first before it scans.

I went to look up the lithium restrictions, and TSA has lightsabers listed specifically. Batteries for our sabers are allowed in checked or carry on baggage. Really big batteries aren't allowed in checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ring/printable

I always take it out of my bag and tell the agent what it is. I keep it in a nice padded sock to keep it from getting scratched up and do it looks innocuous.

Lol Rlobrecht,

Is that the real page? That is pretty awesome. They say toy sabers, maybe plastic is encountered often.

They let you on with a cell phone or laptop with lithium cells, it'd be strange to ban the lithium batteries. I just know that alot of large mail carriers weren't flying them.

here is the actual language-
    Light Saber
    Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

Awesome!!!!

Thanks for all the awesome, informative responses, gang!

Quote Originally Posted by Whosle View Post
    Is there a flight ban on Lithium batteries? Or only certain products (hoverboard)?

I was wondering for Christmas gifts. I like the Idea of putting a printed piece of paper in it, like Forgettful Jedi mentioned.

If it is a canon saber, maybe include a screenshot! And instructions on how to turn on (kill key removal).

The shape of the saber would be pretty alarming to Canadian TSA agents the xray tech will definately ask for a superior. Maybe point out the case and tell them first before it scans.
    If it is already installed, the TSA will allow it. If it is "loose, then maybe not.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com