Thread: Kylo ren conversion questions and Led assistance is also needed

Default Kylo ren conversion questions and Led assistance is also needed

Hi, so I'm planning to embark a new journey to convert my kylo ren force fx into inhilt. Can I use a red rebel star or a saber forge 5 watt led for the main blade and not have to use a resistor?

I don't know anything about those products. I can tell you that I used Cree tri stars in my main blade and single cree stars in each side emitter. I sanded down the inside of my side emitter housings with a dremel, so that 1" Custom Saber Shop Heat Sink/LED Modules worked in them. I also used Custom Saber Shop Adapter Kit/Heat sink for main blade. I went tricree on main blade, single cree on side emitters, each star has its own lens.

Yes, typically in most setups, you would be over-driving red LEDs with too much voltage/amperage, thus you need to run a resistor. You have to know: forward voltage of each red die, your supply voltage, and your forward current, and either learn Ohm's law and do math, or use a calculator such as this: Ohm's Law Calculator. Each red die in the star needs a resistor, so if you are running a red, red, red on the main blade, that blade will have 3 resistors, one for each feed. Side emitters, because of the example I stated above, using just a single die star, only needs one. So, my Kylo saber has 5 resistors.

Link to my Kylo Saber video series I did: Kylo Playlist with 11 videos to help you along, including some from Jake Sloan at beginning

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."