Thread: Photon Blade Q

Default Photon Blade Q

Hi, folks.

I'm building a Master Q hilt for my cousin, so he can theoretically do a QGJ with The Rebel Legion. That means a green blade. I am, of course, looking at setting it up with a Photon Blade. According to my reading, the peak response of the Photon Blade is at 495nm; The blue Luxeon rebel is nominally 470 nm, which is a difference of 25 nm. The Luxeon cyan rebel is nominally 505 nm, which is a difference of 10 nm. Therefore, it seems that the Luxeon cyan is the better choice for a bright blade -- or am I missing something?

What about Flash on Clash (FoC)? If I have a tri-rebel LED module, should I do CyCyW, CyCyCy, CyBW, or something else, in order to get a clear flash?

Thanks for your time and insights!

I haven't used the photo blade, but your logic seems sound. It seems like the common setup is BBW, perhaps just because that's something people already have and it's readily available.

You can see SpaceWindu made a photon blade with an orange FOC, albeit a string blade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt0acAw31Ko

In practical use, it has been found that normal Blue appear to work the best with Photon blades.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I purchased from TCSS some of the thick and thin wall fluorescent green polycarbonate tubing used to make the Photon Blade and made some transmission, absorption and fluorescent emission spectrum measurements of cut-off sections of the tubing.

The optimal wavelength band for pumping the fluorescent dye in the tubing if what you want is conversion of the blue pump light into green fluorescence is between 440nm - 470nm.
    It is in this 440nm - 470nm wavelength band that absorption of the blue light by the fluorescein green dye is maximized. At 495nm about half the light will pass thru the thin wall blade tubing without being absorbed and transformed into green light.

Of the conventional LEDs that I have tested, the Royal Blue CREE XT-E (450nm-460nm) is the most efficient blue light pump source for the photon blade.
    It can be safely over driven to 2.5amps (10 amps total for a quad star) though measured optical power starts to plateau after 2 amps per diode.
    An over driven quad CREE XT-E driving a Photon Blade can get you into the 3,000 Lumen Blade Brightness range.

https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=50389.0

https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=50388.0