Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 custom Prizm sabers, his and hers!

Default 2 custom Prizm sabers, his and hers! With build pics

Just finished up this commission, his and hers sabers!
    I'm sorry I haven't found a replacement yet for photobucket, but the video shows all I needed to show really.
    The etching was his design, and I figured out a new technique to make it really pop, especially on the lower hilt section.
    The paint scheme as you can see is the same only reversed.

Much of the masking and painting was tricky, but I really love how it all turned out. Both sabers have 2 coats of matte clear I sprayed at work, very durable. Also both sabers are weathered light to medium I'd say.

The boot sounds are all custom made by a member here, thank you so much! The customer wanted the 1st 4 boot sounds of each saber to be Han/Leia banter and quips. The last 2 of each are normal boots.

Thanks for looking!
    -Darkmatter73
    edit:The embed I pasted in doesn't seem to work right, how do I fix that?
    2nd edit: success!

http://imgur.com/a/ErCGi
    Last edited by Darkmatter73; 07-24-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Nice finish on those. Excellent work, as always Darkmatter.

I switched to imgur. Quick and easy uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I switched to imgur.
    That's what I use as well. It is what MMCC is recommending.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    -Darkmatter73
    edit:The embed I pasted in doesn't seem to work right, how do I fix that?

Hey @Darkmatter73 ! All you have to do is:

1. Right Click+Copy the video's URL. (I just right clicked on your video in Youtube to get it)
    2. Start a post here at the forum.
    3. Select the little film strip icon (Insert Video).
    4. Right Click+Paste the video's URL in the line that asks for it in the pop-up window.
    5. Click "OK".
    6. VIOLA!

OH! And, that salt water etching is AMAZING!

I read your Aurebesh while I was watching the beginning of your video and laughed "So that's how you tell if it's his or hers!" and a minute later you confirmed it. Too funny!

If you have a link to your bucket (if you have progress pics there), or whereever you might have uploaded them, I'd love to see the progress pics of how you masked that all off!

Very nicely done. They compliment each other well
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Quote Originally Posted by Ridire Fíréan View Post

Hey @Darkmatter73 ! All you have to do is:

1. Right Click+Copy the video's URL. (I just right clicked on your video in Youtube to get it)
    2. Start a post here at the forum.
    3. Select the little film strip icon (Insert Video).
    4. Right Click+Paste the video's URL in the line that asks for it in the pop-up window.
    5. Click "OK".
    6. VIOLA!
    You, sir, are a lifesaver. Thank you very much indeed.
    I do have some progress pics that I had been sending to the customer. Can't vouch for what's all in there, but as soon as I get my new Imgur account loaded up, I'll update here.

Update: finished making an account at Imgur and dumped everything I had from this project there. Seems to be in no particular order, and some of the stuff you'll see there was never used, as happens with these kinds of builds. Hope it's interesting in the slightest lol, but I can answer any questions if they come up.
    Last edited by Darkmatter73; 07-24-2017 at 12:34 PM.

You're very welcome @Darkmatter73 , I'm glad I could help!

Good to see your "in progress" pics. Your etching setup is impressive, well beyond the 9v battery and a wet Q-tip stage!

Only a couple of questions came up...

Do you print onto the green sheet and wash off the blocker, or is it laser cut?

What program are you using to generate the stencils?

And is the plate in the bucket your "cathode", or did you etch a plaque as well?

Any plans to move from salt-water etching to laser engraving?

Again, they turned out great, I'm sure Stephen and Co. will really love them. Except for that Zen font maybe that lock-up noise made my ears ring.

Thanks for sharing all the photos!

I use a Silhouette Portrait to cut the etch stencils, using the software that came with it. I did redraw all the patterning in that software, but you can drag and drop as well.
    For the stencil itself I use green mylar, very thin. It's very sticky but with a clear backing. Then I have to weed out the design with a little hook thingy. I put the whole thing on transfer paper to move it to the work piece, after I take off the clear backing.
    The cathode in the bath is just another piece of 6061, a 3x6 in. panel. No plans to change etching techniques, other methods involve chemicals stronger than I want to deal with
    Thanks for that, and don't worry we took that font off the final shipped saber hehe.

-Darkmatter73

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    No plans to change etching techniques, other methods involve chemicals stronger than I want to deal with -Darkmatter73
    Huh? I don't think there are any chemicals in a laser engraver. Not ones you have to handle or are exposed to anyway. A good pair of Laser Safety Glasses wouldn't hurt though I'm sure!

This is what I was referring to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmDOBtixHU

https://www.laserstar.net/products/l...arking-system/

I keep hoping to see someone on one of the forums pick up one of these dandys and make a go at rotary lightsaber engraving. Fitting that a lightsaber is cut with a laser I think!

I think I've seen those Silhouette Portrait machines at Jo-Ann's, or something very much like it anyway. I'd never thought to use them in the manner you are; they always advertise them as paper scrapbooking machines. Very clever to make stencils for lightsabers with this type of unit.

Thank you for answering all those questions. It looks like a lot of fun, and the possibilities are vast!!