Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to make grooves (without mill or lathe)?

Default How to make grooves (without mill or lathe)?

What is the best way I can make grooves on a saber? Since I do have access to a dremel, I was thinking I could either use the dremel or try etching them. What do you guys think? I am open to suggestions.

Have tcss mill them. Don't use a dremel.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

I actually really wanted to do them myself, but if that is the only way with good results than that's what I'll do. Any other possible way I could do it?

Blog Entries

What kind of grooves? You can get away with etching them fairly well depending on what you want.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Kinda like the grooves darth maul has.

Edit: well, not darth maul, his saber.

Blog Entries

Etching won’t do that well that deep. It’ll start to eat the material outwards under you resist because you’d have to leave it for so long. Etching good grooves around a circumference takes a little practice too. For that you’re better off getting them machined.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Alrighty, I guess machining is the way to go! Thanks for your help and time D.C. and Tom!

I’m not sure this would work, but they sell that drill press type setup for a Dremel. You should never use a drill press for milling because the chuck just isn’t secured well enough among other reasons, but with the Dremel and the right bit I’ll bet you could mill with it. That would do a better job than using just your hand. Sending it to someone to machine would probably be better, but I’d probably try it if I had one.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 07-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.

I for you're talking about a stand like this
    image.jpg
    And a tool like these
    image.jpg
    Then I could, since I have those accessories. I could give it a try any ways, since I have some extra pipes and shroud material lying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    I for you're talking about a stand like this
    image.jpg
    And a tool like these
    image.jpg
    Then I could, since I have those accessories. I could give it a try any ways, since I have some extra pipes and shroud material lying around.
    The problem here with a Dremel drill press set-up is you have no movable table. The way a mill works is the cutter rotates in place and the part you are cutting moves. If you had a lathe you could buy a milling set up for your cross slide.

Can you make a jig from wood and use the Dremel as a router? Making small shallow cuts at a time?
    92FCF27B-C32F-46BF-AB9C-D52B6E1FE28F.jpg
    Last edited by k6gad; 07-08-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Additional info