Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wiring diagram for a NBV4 with extender?

Tom ,

I am thinking in electron flow. The LED forces the flow from negative to positive. The emitter is the negative leg, and that's also the drain. Cathodes have a surplus of negative charge.

The activation pad is idle until you connect it to the negative of the battery.
    Unless I am confuzzle-ing myself.

Thanks for the hints; I did learn the hard way that I should follow what is on the manual; although I can't just read it without understand :P

Most microcontrollers work like that, so I'm not sure where the confusion is. It is programmed as an input.
    If you try to connect the positive of a LED to the + on the arduino, and the return wire on a pin set to high; most likely you would fry the LED. At least on the Arduino, all the pin out that can be set high or low, carry about 5V, which is why you can't just connect 3.3V sensors to these pins. Can't say about other MC, since I know mostly Arduino and clones.
    I did assume that the L pads would carry 3.7v from the battery, hence my mistake. Glad that I didn't burn anything

L pads are all cathode. Returns. Negative leg from each LED goes to pads. Positives can all common up to the + pad.
    That explain how the whole thing works; common + for power, negative for each L pad. I am curious to see what happen if you connect the negative from each LED to the ground. It should still work from my understanding, since GND and - are mostly equivalent.

My Nano B IV Graflex Install:

Dark Blue Wires: Speaker
    Orange Wire: Activation Leg (other part is commoned up with negative in saber)
    Purple Wire: White Diode FOC/Green/Red Diodes on 5mm RGB LED that is lighting the crytal.
    Light Blue Wire: Blue Diodes Main Blade Color (B,B,W tricree) Blue diode from 5mm RGB LED on Crystal Chamber
    White Wire: Negative Feed from recharge port (cut off leg when kill key is in, commoned with other switch leg in saber)
    Red Wire: Positive Feed from recharge port/LED Star. My common positive connects in here. I almost use the kill key as a wiring harness. Lots of room there.

As you can see though, by the time I get to the board, I only have one wire to each pad, makes things neater. This saber also has a crystal chamber with RBG LED. I commoned up the Red/Green diodes to a purple wire after resistors, that purple wire then is parallel with my FOC, and the purple from my main blade joins in with this one into a single wire going to the board. The blue diode from the 5mm RGB LED runs on a blue wire after resistor, and is then commoned up with main blade blue wire in hilt prior to bisquit. The red common wire from the 5mm RGB, the Red wire from Recharge port, and the Red Wire from my main LED are all commoned up to one red wire going to the bisquit. Keeps life simple. I common up all the + on the LED star, so I only have one red wire coming off the star. On my tri crees, I'll have one positive wire, and one wire for each diode on the star. On this saber, because the 2 main blade diodes were the same color (blue) I commoned them up after the resistor to a single blue wire...which merged with my crystal chamber blue lead into a single lead. That single lead is running the blue chamber LED, and both blue diodes on my star.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 07-16-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Awesome Tom!

How did you join wires together? I have virtually no space on top; especially because the resistors are so big and take so much space.

Also I have no idea where to put the extender; the bottom is busy since there is the recharge port; so I am not sure if I should "shrinkwrap" it and put it on top of the NB4 or have it float around.

I see that many of you did go for the route of one color; that will remove the need for the extender; so it is 3 wires less. I may just end up trashing the current led assembly and get a BBW led; to simplify things.

Thanks for sharing your setup!

I join wires by twisting wires coming from the same direction, then soldering them together, then a fresh single wire solders in parallel with shrink over joint. This way you can join 3-4 common wires and send them to board on one common wire. They're all going to the same place anyhow. On the Darth Ryo Chassis I used in this saber, there was 0 room for wire routing. I have 3 resistors in there, and all the wire above. You have to be smart about it. I staggered my resistors so they weren't all stacked up on top of each other.

I have some video that shows my logic on the RGB Crystal Chamber 5mm LED, and why I did what I did. It also shows how I staggered my resistors in that small channel. If I can jam all those wires in that small channel, you surely can plan this out. It takes a lot of contemplation, staring, and trials. Then put it in action! Some video here of the build process on this chassis:

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

One cautionary note. If you have a chassis system that slides out of pommel, minimize or eliminate any wire joints in your cram fu wires. Make your joints in chassis.

Tom

Thanks for the video, Tom!

So you used the space behind the speaker too; that is useful for the resistors. Yours are much smaller than mine...I did get them at the CSS, but they are huge; so I went to the local electronics store and got slightly bigger ones (2.2 Ohm); but they are much smaller in size, so even 2 in parallel (so I can get around 1ohm), is smaller than the single bigger resistor

You gave me hope; my case is the same as yours, so I think I can fit everything in there. Although your switch is on the clamp; mine is on the red button; so I have 2 extra wires to carry in the channel. This weekend I will give it a try, hopefully I didn't mess up the board

I don't think you messed up the board. The way you wired your main LED, you never had any positive going to it. Bridge all the + on the star, and run one red wire off the star to your positive pad (or common up with battery red prior to board). Then run one negative color lead off each - diode on the LED.

Why 1 ohm resistors? I used .47 ohm resistors just to keep the board stable. The blues and whites don't technically need resistors on this setup. What color LED are you using?

Tom

I have to take apart the whole assembly first; probably I can even snatch the resistors at the end of the assembly, although the battery channel is quite small, so probably won't work.

I did make the calculations based on the power of each LED; I have a RGB tri-cree star. The blue and green came up as 1 ohm, while the red came up as 1.2, using the online resistor calculator. From my understanding the resistor is both for protection of the LED, and to avoid that the LED grab too much current from the board, so I did play safe and used the resistor suggested on the calculator. I did look for smaller resistor but 2.2 was the smallest I could find, which was also small enough to fit on the 30G wire that I am using.

Nevermind, I now see you're running RGB. If you're building a graflex, why RGB? I can see G,B, W....or G,RB,W....or B,B, W...or RB, B, W..or RB,RB, W. You do need at least a 1 ohm resistor on that red diode negative leg. However, on the blue and green...no resistor, or a .47 ohm just to stabilize.

The graflex was blue blade, even when Vader killed Younglings with it in III. I'm just thinking simplify your life a bit. If this is your first build, don't kill yourself. RGB is much more complex, both with wiring on the NBIV, and with configuration files. I think it'd be easier to get the hang of all this stuff on a single color saber...but that is me. My first builds were single color (red) Kylo Ren BS Mods. After those, I designed a MHS hilt from here, and I made that RGB with RGB crystal chamber. I had tons of room to figure things out in there, and learned a lot on that MHS saber.

Then I dialed back to single color blade with W FOC with the graflex. The Graflex 2.0 was complex getting all of my wires in that chassis, that was the challenge there. If you have not yet seen Matt Duley's series on youtube: "Lets build a graflex." You should probably watch all 10 videos and his addendum.

I do think your NBIV will probably be fine if you wired it like your diagram reads.

Tom