Thread: Jaws Themed Lightsaber Font!

Default Jaws Themed Lightsaber Font!

I made this font for my lightsaber: Mako. It was a personal project, but wanted to get feedback on it. It sounds pretty good in saber, especially the hum. I am still working on the swings to make them sound better. I'm also working on trying to clarify a lot of the movie quotes I'm using in "blaster" segment on cards. I am no Shameem, Madcow, Juansith, Lord Blako......I am painfully aware that I'm not even close to their quality, but I wanted to give this aspect of saber building a try too. I think if you're going to build sabers, you really need to be able to build saber sounds too. This all seems part of the natural package of skillsets. All the folks I aspire to possess this skill, so I needed it as well. Thank you to many I already named for inspiring others to learn. I'll take all feedback, good, bad, and ugly. I'm trying to make this better, you're not going to hurt my feelings, I don't have any. I'm a sith .

Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 07-20-2017 at 04:56 AM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Sounds like you spent some time on it. Not sure if the microphone is distorting it, or clipping out at max.

It's pretty close to being a H.P. Lovecraft/Cthulu theme as well.

Maybe some more defined sonar pings during would help out.

Did you follow the instructions on Plecter Labs website? I spent a good couple of hours attempting a font, that was before I read the tutorial.

There are many different soundfont themes that would cross over well. Still waiting for a lord of the rings/harry potter/ DND theme. Lots of comic book characters would work well.

Is it total sacrilege to have a Star Trek saber font?

I did use plecter labs program, and read the directions. I'm also using Audacity for capture, but wish it would do direct capture. If it can, I can't figure it out. Its currently capturing my computer mic?

Star Trek would be sacrilege! Don't do that. Jaws is semi-related, cuz Lucas and Spielberg are cronies. Plus, it matched my lightsaber. I'll try to get some pings from that scene where they find Ben Gardner's boat. Jaws is my second favorite movie after SW, then Titanic, Avatar, etc. Still working on refining this font. I'll get it there!

Tom

You could try using the heavy cello "duh dun" more prominently as the hum. I can't quite tell from the audio, but it sounds like you might have done that.

I don't know how in depth you can get, but the first parts of the main theme (the duh dun, duh dun) would make a great, and ominous, boot sound instead. Or maybe "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

cello is the hum, with some effects added. It sounds better in person. I'm capturing mic audio, and will try to get a better capture. I guess the mic was overdriving the capture device a bit. I'm also working on clearer captures. This definitely was a rough draft. Still working on it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    cello is the hum, with some effects added. It sounds better in person. I'm capturing mic audio, and will try to get a better capture. I guess the mic was overdriving the capture device a bit. I'm also working on clearer captures. This definitely was a rough draft. Still working on it.

Tom
    I thought the hum sounded like the cello, but I couldn't quite tell. I know it's rough but it sounds good so far. Slow ahead...

Wow this is just fun and great! Jaws is my {yes yes here it comes a sin} favorite film of all time. I love that hum so much! do you have this font anywhere someone like me could get a copy? I really want to have that hum for one of may sabers.
    Again this is just so cool you took to things i love and made them into one!
    P.S. Mako is a cool looking saber great job there to!
    "A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
    "Choose what is right, not what is easy"

PM your email, and I'll send you a zip file. Its not good enough to publish it yet. I'm still trying to get better captures on the quotes. I also have not blended hum into the swings/blasts for plecter boards. NEC mixes the hum. This was just a fun tongue in cheek font for a saber named after a shark. Jaws is one of my favorite movies; however, it falls behind any Star Wars for me, even Phantom Menace.

Tom

Tom