Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom's MPP 2.0

Default Tom's MPP 2.0

I've done 2 Hasbro BS Kylo Ren conversion, my own custom MHS RGB (mako), and a Graflex 2.0. Its now time for Darth Vader's axe. Being as this is my grandfather's weapon, I didn't want to let him down on my replication of his old blade.

My general build components:
    Korbanth MPP 2.0
    Darth Ryo Sith Master Chassis System
    I2
    Tri-Cree Dr, DR, W
    2 RGB 5 mm LED's (common anode). My crystal chamber wired in parallel with blade. Combining RGB for FOC in crystals. Chassis has a focusing crystal, and energy crystal.
    4 blue accent LED's. 3 in pommel behind speaker, visible on outside of chassis through grills. 1 in chassis mid section.
    1 red surface mount LED as power indicator, wired for steady on at removal of kill key through low power standby.

Lots of other screen accurate mods along the way to make it better than it comes stock. It hath begun!

Chassis painting:

Flattened brass tubes (TCSS Chassis Brass tubes) for additional conduit space through chamber.

4 wires running through brass tubes. I will have them separated by an 3/4 inch inside chamber, which will purposely expose 4 wires (RC Port wires)

My conduit plan through chamber, including the exposed wires!

My very rough, and crazy I might add....wiring diagram. Inside the mind of a madman. "In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God." That kind of madman. Here we go:

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Nice, Tom. Looking forward to watching it come together. ESB Vader is my favorite saber.

Some updated pics as I get closer to finalizing the paint job:

The meaning behind the colors at the base of the crystal chamber:

Chassis accent LED's. I have 3 in back near pommel, but they only shine out through grills, so they should be invisible with pommel on, or mostly so. I then have 2 more at the speaker closure that all will be blink program pads. The red accent LED is power indicator steady on. When kill key is out, that one is on steady. Wires are a mess, because I haven't buttoned it all up yet. All these accents will be driven by 5 wires. 1 common vcc, and 4 negatives. 3 blinkies and 1 steady. Also routed from the back here will be a 5mm RGB for my crystal chamber rear crystal, and there will be another 5mm accent LED driving the forward crystal! Craziness for sure!

Look at this mess!

Tom

Looks awesome! It definitely inspires me to build a Vader reveal or maybe venture into Luke's territory. Thanks for the help!

Chamber with both crystals in:

Chassis Side w/ rods in:

Chassis Side 2:

Ready for Board (waiting on LED module)

Much of the work on the chassis is complete. Wires routed, accent LED's in and resistored and commoned up wires, crystal chamber RGB LED's in resistored and wired. I may solder my main LED today, so its ready to go when the module gets here. My TCSS battery is in there. I am hoping to order Hilt, LED Module, clamp switch holder (and switches) this next payday! I think final assembly will be relatively easy once I get those in. This chassis is the bulk of the work. It is the skeleton, nervous system, musculature. The Hilt is merely the skin that covers it! So, I imagine there won't be many more updates for a couple weeks. This has been a fun project, and I know it is going to be a great saber.

Tom

I got my MPP and some components in the mail today from TCSS. I also got some things I need to update my RGB MHS Saber Mako, and to fix one of my Kylo Sabers that I'm re-modifying. Got the LED mounted in the module tonight, which was an adventure because of something I'm trying that is different. I will be posting a build video upon completion, its a work in progress. I'm hoping to have this thing done by the end of next weekend! I'm stuck with a bunch of house chores that need to be done.

Tom

Ok, so I have to get my switch wires from he clamp to my board, and not effect how the lower screws on. I have to dig a channel in the core, and drill a hole through the upper shroud underneath the clamp. My channel will .go from underneath the hole in the shroud to my destination. I have 2 choices on that: 1-I can cut a channel towards the front of core and down in behind the LED Module, and then route my switch wires alongside my LED feeds. 2-I can carve a lateral channel (perpendicular to the core) from underneath the clamp to the existing wire channel on the core. I've been thinking about it all night, and its probably 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Just trying to see if anyone who built an MPP with clamp switch setup had any advice on how they tackled this project. Tom

Full build video forthcoming! Hope you enjoy.

Tom