Thread: Macking a custom soundboard, what features should I include, placement of connections

Default Making a custom soundboard, what features should I include, placement of connections

I'm a hobby PCB designer and want to build my own soundboard. Partially because they are so expensive and partially because I want to use RGBW LED's in sabers I would build. Most sound boards I see usually control only RGB or 3x channels and require extra work to get that 4th channel. I want to base mine off of running the CREE XM-L Color LEDs.
    I will adapt open source soundboard code from FX-SaberOS, USaber, LightSaberOS, TeesnySaberOS. For testing I purchased a $8 mini flight controller which includes a STM32F303(72MHz 32-bit MCU with I2C,SPI,I2S), MPU6500, 5V buck-boost so it can work on either 4.2v or 8.4v and 6x 10A MOSFETs. It is only missing an SDcard and amp which can be done with a DFplayer for proof of concept then add something like the MAX98357A and SPI flash(16-32MB) or SDcard later. Ultimately I plan on using the STM32F072(MCU), LSM6DS3(IMU), MAX98357A(DAC-AMP), 6x 6-10A MOSFET or 4x LED2001 or LT3476, TP5100(charger), LTC3111(5v buck/boost), 3.3v 500mA-1A LDO.

What am I hoping from posting this is anyone seeing features that I am missing as well as getting feedback on the best placement for the wire connections.

Attempted features:
    • 1 or 2 cell operation with 5v buck-boost voltage regulator(4.2-8.4v)
    • 1 or 2 cell battery charger (set with soldering jumpers, could be set automatically but adds to components and idle power draw, or could be set through programming)
    • 3.3v LDO for MCU, ICs, GPIO
    • Accelerometer/Gyroscope
    • 16/32MB SPI Flash on-board or microSD card
    • 6x 6A+ MOSFETs or 4-channel LED driver 1.5A per(channels can be used for RGB-W, strip, LED Crystal, cross-blade)
    • NeoPixel Compatible
    • I2S audio out to an I2S Class-D 3W AMP for best audio sound (44.1kHz/16-bit/WAV/Mono)
    • 2x buttons (Main, Aux, expandable to more depending on other features used)
    • Momentary or latching switch compatible through software
    • RGB status light - current resistors on-board (I plan to use switches with an RGB for status; on(same color as blade)/charging/charging complete/more+)
    • 2x Aux GPIO for LEDs or buttons
    • I2S audio out to an I2S Class-D 3W AMP for best audio sound (44.1kHz/16-bit/WAV/Mono)
    • 20.3mm wide for largest compatibility in chassis

Placement
    • LED +/- (right)
    • Batt +/- (left)
    • Charge +/- (left)
    • Speaker +/- (left)
    • buttons/status led/Neopixel (bottom)
    • microUSB (best fit)
    • SDcard (left/underside)

Questions?
    Should I use Cheaper MOSFETs or full on LED drivers? (LED drivers would be the most efficient and wouldn't require resistors at all, large inductors would increase the size and cost)
    If I use MOSFETs should I make space for 2512 resistors on-board(would need to limit it to 4)?
    Do enough people use PLI (power level indicator) to add native support? (Would mean picking a 64-pin MCU rather than the currently picked 48pin)
    Missing features?

ObiSaber.jpg
    Last edited by Ben StarKiller; 07-10-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: misspelling

This post would be better served by being placed over on FX-Sabers. This store already sells products that have those features and more.

TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If this forum has a lot of people that have and use high quality soundcards they would be the best people to ask as they would have more experience in using them. So they would best be able to tell me what features I might be missing and what is easier to wire. I am not here to sell anything as I don't really care for the support tail a product like this would have. Would only help a local group as I want to join my local Rebel Legion. I just want to make this once as it takes a lot of time. I will post it over there too, not a bad idea.
    Last edited by Ben StarKiller; 07-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben StarKiller View Post
    If this forum has a lot of people that have and use high quality soundcards they would be the best people to ask as they would have more experience in using them. So they would best be able to tell me what features I might be missing and what is easier to wire. I am not here to sell anything as I don't really care for the support tail a product like this would have. Would only help a local group as I want to join my local Rebel Legion. I just want to make this once as it takes a lot of time. I will post it over there too, not a bad idea.
    I've been down this dusty trail before with some of the others that you have mentioned. What started out one way, turned into something quite different "later on". My earlier advice still stands, and I am glad you are heeding it.

TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

All of the above projects are a year or so old and are developed by only one or two people who have spent countless hours honing their projects.

Perhaps the two most important things about the open source projects above is that a) They are not really for those who don't have at least some minor programming knowledge (yet); and b) They are always evolving because the point of open source is to push things forward. A year ago there was practically no such thing as NeoPixel blades. It wasn't until LightsaberOS that there was a widely supported platform. Our hard work on that pushed the community forward and now Plecter has a host of offerings with features and effects that were previously only available in LightsaberOS.

The only thing we ask is that if you use code from these projects you give credit where it's due and extend the same open source license forward.

All that being said, this really is not the right place for this discussion. FX-Sabers and Arduino forums both have lively discussions the topic, including the related projects, and would likely be the best places to get feedback on your hardware choices.

FYI: TeensySaber V2 can already control RGBW LEDs.