Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7/8 inch Neopixel Blade Diffusion

Default 7/8 inch Neopixel Blade Diffusion

Hey guys!

I'm planning on building a Neopixel blade in a 7/8 inch tube so that it will fit my Solo's hold blade holder in my TGS graflex (when it gets here).

I thought I'd ask the question what would the best diffusion be for this blade size?

I've had a search around and all the posts about diffusion are regarding 1 inch blades

My initial thoughts are first a layer of 2mm packing foam, Clear tape to hold that together, then several layers of diffusion film/plastic wrap to fit it into a thin-walled TRANS-WHITE 7/8 inch blade.

I've got an XLR 3 pin microphones connector for the base.

PS this will be a display piece mainly so no need to worry about dueling.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers Peeps!

3.2 mm isn't that much of a difference. I would expect that whatever works for a 1" blade will work fine for a 7/8" blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    3.2 mm isn't that much of a difference. I would expect that whatever works for a 1" blade will work fine for a 7/8" blade.
    For the straw hat style maybe however I'm using the led strips back to back version. I would like to minimize the seam that people sometimes get with this sort of setup which will probably be slightly worse in a 7/8 blade. Plus there's no led diffuser tube available for the 7/8 blade either.
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

If you are worried about the seam, you can go with a triangle setup.

Triangle setup has a huge amp load.. I've been making this type of blade for a year now and have only made back to back 1" blades. My experience is that if you have enough diffusion for the pixels, the seam won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Triangle setup has a huge amp load.. I've been making this type of blade for a year now and have only made back to back 1" blades. My experience is that if you have enough diffusion for the pixels, the seam won't be an issue.
    I've heard of people building them triangle, but a huge amp load would not be optimal. I think now is a good time for a neopixel blade build tutorial, in the post-PhotoBucket era...

One thing I really would like to try is twisting the strip 1/2 revolution to see if that helps with seam diffusion. I haven't tried it at all, but it seems like it could work

Everyone is really over thinking this, the seam is just not much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Everyone is really over thinking this, the seam is just not much of an issue.
    lol mountains out of mole hills

Sooooo some packing foam and cellophane should take care of it?
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

That has been my experience. The 7/8 blade will have less room than the 1" blades I'm used to using, but I think it will be OK. Another pixel blade builder I've been working with uses thick walled 1", so the ID is the same there. He uses transwhite blades, I have been using clear blades.