Thread: Lightsaber SMD blade question

Default Lightsaber SMD blade question

Hey Everyone!

First off, im pretty much a newbie when it comes to saber electronics!
    I've been making hilts for a while using Fusion 360 and 3D printing but i've been wanting to make the jump to electronics for a while and i think im ready for it!

I wanted a simple set up to start my learning from and i managed to pick up this saber from comic con for £45 which i thought was a pretty good price given the blade was removeable and its a full metal hilt.

Theres no sound, power up/down or clash effects but its a bright blade with an okay flicker effect.

I gave it a repaint just to take that 'new look' off it

While i had it in pieces i took a look at the board and blade to see how it was all put together.

Im not absolutely sure what kind of SMD LED they are but i think they're either 3014 or 3020.

Ive found a few websites about copying circuit boards but id like the opinion of saber builders!

How hard do you think it would be? Is it worth doing? Is there maybe an easier alternative?

Cheers guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

For 45$? That's would be a steal even if it was empty hilt.

I have never seen an SMD blade like that.

Start with the NBV4 or another entry level board. It would be a waste of time to try and retro fit one like that.

Do you share your 3d hilt designs? I have a 3d printer and would like to collaborate with someone who is better at fusion360 than I (Only made simple chassis disks and crystal chambers).

You might be able to put a Hasbro "Econo" board in there for sound. Power up and down requires alot of electronic wizardry.

I would get you to message me , but you need 10 posts before that. I am also on fx-sabers and I am close to getting my teensy based saber working (sound in wrong format).

Take a pic of the battery pack if it os a rechargeable one, you might be able to use it again as well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Whosle; 07-09-2017 at 08:15 AM.

I know! I couldn't believe the price when i saw it and thought it must be cheap in terms of construction but its completely solid and very well put together. I tried in vain to get in contact with the seller for more information about them but i couldn't get a hold of anyone who knew any stall information.

In terms of the blade, i've never seen anything like it either which is why i came here to seek advice from the experts!

Yeah im planning sharing some of my saber STL's once i get them printed and test assembly - i wont be sharing them all because im planning on cold casting them and selling.

Heres my Qu Rahn saber

Its designed solid and i had originally designed it to screw together but i was using cheap filament and the tolerance wasn't good enough so i ended up just cutting them off and gluing it together. The current version i've been working on is hollow for electronics and screw together better.

I also printed a Yun saber

Heres one of my random SWTOR inspired designs, probably not really usable in terms of electronics but it could make a nice display.

Also i designed the Yun and that random saber in 123D when i first got started. Its actually pretty good for starting out on saber designs but i dont know if you can get it any more!