Thread: Mace Windu conversion - LED help. Mixing 3up LED for purple - resistors

Default Mace Windu conversion - LED help. Mixing 3up LED for purple - resistors

I have a 3 up led using 2 blue and 1 red and I'm hoping to get purple for a Mace Windu conversion that I'm doing.

I've tried a couple of different resistors on the red to try to get purple, but the best I've gotten is like a bright pink. Any suggestions on what kind of resistor I need.

I've connected 10ohm 1/2 watt and 1/4 watt and also a 5.1ohm 1/4 watt.

Wondering if anyone has done this conversion and if anyone might have a suggestion as to what kind of resistor to try.

Thanks!

A few questions:

What kind of LED are you using? Cree XP-E2, Rebel?
    Is your blue die truly blue or is it royal blue?
    Are you reusing the stock soundboard and/or battery configuration? What batteries are you using?

If your LED is a standard blue and not royal blue, it may be difficult to get the rich purple you desire. Most Cree and Luxeon blues have too much green in them to make a great purple, which is why many use the royal blue dice.

That said, this is also going to depend on your battery configuration. I sincerely doubt you're going to be able to get enough current from the stock batteries and soundboard to fully power the 3-up LED.

If I were you, I would pick up an 18 ohm resistor to see if it does the trick. There's going to be a lot of trial and error here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncthorn View Post
    A few questions:

What kind of LED are you using? Cree XP-E2, Rebel?
    Is your blue die truly blue or is it royal blue?
    Are you reusing the stock soundboard and/or battery configuration? What batteries are you using?

If your LED is a standard blue and not royal blue, it may be difficult to get the rich purple you desire. Most Cree and Luxeon blues have too much green in them to make a great purple, which is why many use the royal blue dice.

That said, this is also going to depend on your battery configuration. I sincerely doubt you're going to be able to get enough current from the stock batteries and soundboard to fully power the 3-up LED.

If I were you, I would pick up an 18 ohm resistor to see if it does the trick. There's going to be a lot of trial and error here.
    It's a Cree XP-E2

On a friend's recommendation, I have a red, blue and royal blue set up on the 3-up LED and using the electronics from the saber itself.

I bought a few different kinds of resistors to try them out. I am also thinking about ditching one of the dies and trying to get the mix from 1 red and 1 blue with a resistor on the red. I just need it to get close to purple. I got a fuchsia with no resistor, running all 3 dies and I got a white with 10ohms running all 3. But I just bought a few different resistors to try them out... and just today thought about using only 2 of the 3 dies to see if that helps... but I'll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for the info.